1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers for sound card?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mik3h, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I'm not sure exactly which sound card my PC has, and after formatting my system and re-installing XP (downgrade from Vista) I'm having trouble finding out what drivers I need for my PC. I don't have a disc that came with the PC or anything.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

-Mike

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it onboard sound? If so, just go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look the audio driver up there.

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

As sammorris said is probably best...or an easier was is to use a software called "Everest". This software is excellent, it will tell you everything about your os to your hardware...this software will tell you exactly what make your soundcard is in 2 seconds flat.

I actually downloaded this software first from a torrent site and I liked it so much I bought it. http://www.lavalys.com/purchase.php?category=evue&ps=UE&lang=en

Or maybe post some more details of your pc, make/model ect.....

Sandisk

4. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Nice one, thanks guys.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But would it though, if the drivers weren't installed?
    Either way, there's nothing wrong with having Everest, it's a fantastic program to have.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if windows doesn't know what the device is then how is everest going to know what it is?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I thought...

8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

To be honest I don't really know as I'm no computer wizz at all but a friend of mine recently formatted his pc and he rang me in a panic as his sound wasn't working and also when he went on the net, he couldn't scroll down....it was scrolling down in waves and it was very annoying.

I installed everest on his pc and it told me sound was realtek and display was nvidia. It told me the exact model on the nvidia graphics card so I just went to their site and downloaded the driver and display was perfect.

Everest will also tell you the exact specs of your motherboard ect...so if it is onboard, you'll know exactly straight away where to go to download your drivers.

I don't know how everest works, but it is one excellent piece of software.

If I'm re-formatting myself, I use software called "Driver Genius". With this software you can back up all your drivers before you format your pc. It will find and back up either selected or all drivers. You can also back up your drivers to an auto installer for a freshly formatted pc. When pc is formatted, just double click the auto installer and all your drivers are installed on the new os.

Hope I don't sound like a salesman here tryin to sell this stuff lol, but I just think this is very very good software to have on your side.

Sandisk

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, when he reformatted, he didn't download any drivers, so no sound, and the poor scrolling was because the CPU has to render the graphics.