1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drives can't see discs...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by DirtyT, Sep 4, 2004.

1. DirtyT

DirtyT Member

I have a 56X cd-rom drive and DVR-105 DVD burner. Neither one will see any disc I put in the drives. I've been having problems with them for awhile. For example, the dvd drive could see the DVD's and audio CD's I put in, but not data cd's. The cd-rom drive hasn't seen anything in awhile. Today, neither one will see any disc. Yesterday, I was burning a disc, then the power went out because of a storm. Now the damn thing won't even recognise when I put a blank in it. BTW, I'm running 98SE.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Sounds like the drivers are messed up. Go into your device manager and remove both drives. Reboot and let windows reinstall the drives. See if that helps. If that doesn't help, look for a firmware update for the drives.

Jerry

3. DirtyT

DirtyT Member

I actually tried to remove the drives today in the device manager. Then when I restarted the computer, it didn't "detect new hardware". It was like I never removed them. I have the firmware updates for my DVD drive. I'm just scared to install them.

4. DirtyT

DirtyT Member

Update- I booted up from a DOS boot disc so I could update my DVD-RW firmware. This is the first thing that popped up...

CD-Rom device Driver for IDE(Four Channels Supported)
    (C) Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1993-1996
    Driver Version: V340
    Device Name: TOMATO
    Transfer Mode: Programmed I/O
    Drive 0: Port=170(Secondary Channel), Master IRQ=15
    Firmware Version: 1.00

MSCDEX Version 2.25
    Copyright(C) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All rights reserved
    Drive R:=Driver TOMATO unit 0

...then it said something like "this information is so you know your cd-rom info"

So, I go ahead and try to upgrade the firmware. I have to different upgrades. 1.21 and 1.33b. First, I tried 1.33b and got this message...

ID=2 Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 1.00 02/10/10
    Start updating the master drive on secondary IDE.
    Current revision>> Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 1.00 02/10/10
    Error: Unknown error is occured. 02 - 30 - 00

...try 1.21 and get another error. Anyway...."TOMATO"? WTF does that mean??? Sounds strange to me.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have no idea what that TOMATO thing is. Where did you get your firmware downloads from. The best site is here.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Once on the site, use their search block for your model.

Jerry

6. DirtyT

DirtyT Member

That was the original firmware. Notice how it says version 1.00.

I just swapped both drives into my wife's computer and took the two CDRW drives out of hers and put in mine.
    Both CDRW drives work flawlessly in my computer.
    My 56x cd-rom drive still doesn't work in her machine, telling me it's fried.
    My DVR-105 in her machine reads blank cd's, audio cd's and DVD's. It won't read data cd's or recognise blank DVD's. Since it recognised blank cd's, I tried burning one. It did the same as it has on my machine for the past ~ year...burns the disc successfully, but there is nothing on the disc afterward.
    I updated the firmware...got it from that website. Still the same.