1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drives takes too long

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ALAND, Apr 24, 2005.

1. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

My writer spins up and down about 4 times before it recognizes the hard drive data to write. I think they call that the lead-in burn time. Mine is very high. My writer is a new Liteon 1673S, I have the writer set to Master and the reader (DVD-Rom ) set to Slave and my hard drive is on a separate ribbon set to master. I hope that is the right config. Does anyone eleses drive spin up and down for about 30 sec. before recognizing data.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your writer is probably not trying to recognise the data on your hard drive, it is trying to read the information off the blank disc and do what is called an OPC or Optimum Power Check. This very well may be a problem with the media you are using. I use Taiyo Yuden, Ritek G-04 and Verbatim Datalife -R media. Try those and see if it makes a difference.

3. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I am using Yuden media and it does this with Verbatim and every other kind including Prodisc and Optodisc. I am burning with 8x media and even when I slow the speed this still happens. I am going to try install another drive ( optical ) and see what happens.Do you think this could be the way I have the master, slave configured. My reader is the slave and my writer is the master and my hard drive is connected on a separate ribbon as master. Any help would be appreciated

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I've tried them set up both ways and never saw any difference. It could be your burner is going bad. That just seems like a long time for it to recognize the disc. I think my Pioneer comes on in 10 seconds or less.

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

6. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

My burner is a Liteon SOHC1673S brand new. This only happens when I burn from my hard drive to the burner. When my reader(DVD-Rom) is done reading the files to the folder, the burner seem to have a hard time either finding the folder which is on my D drive or it seem to go through a search process spinning up and down until it finds the folder. Any thoughts. I do not have enough gig on my C drive to store the contents. Sony partitioned the drive with 15 gig in C and 92 gig in D. The operating system and all my files are on the C drive which only has 5 gig left.