1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drives will not read faster than 1.48x

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by zeff116, Mar 19, 2005.

1. zeff116

zeff116 Guest

Hello all:

First let me apologize if I am doing this wrong. I have a liteon 167T that will not exceed read speed of 1.48x. I recently purchased another drive and got the exact same read speed testing with nero speed test. These are the things I have done. I am running in dma ultra 6 mode(which changes back every time I boot up but I catch it and change it back), I have the latest firmware which is 9S19 or something like that and I have an 80 conductor IDE cable with no change. I have it on my secondary as slave and my burner as master. I can guess it is not the drive since I have had a total of three with the same read speed. I also tested my burner read speed and it had an average of 12X which is o.k. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. P.S I have a dell 2.4 with 512 meg ram. Thanks

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

A few questions:

What are the jumper settings on both your burner and also your new DVD-ROM, since the DVD-ROM comes set as Master by its green jumper on the back of the unit.

Second, are you saying that you set your burner to DMA6?

The reason for Windows to reduce DMA settings and also to PIO mode is for errors. Most Burners are not DMA6, but fall somewhere from DMA5 and down. What make and model do you have as a burner?

3. zeff116

zeff116 Guest

Thanks for Helping. My dvd-rom is set to slave and my burner is set to master and are both on my secondary. The setting say "ultra dma mode 6" with both set to dma if available. However another problem I have is that when I reboot it sets itself back to pio mode on my dvd rom and I have to go into my registery and change it again by typing ffffffff in certain places. My burner is a micro advantage 16ddvdrw. Now burner read perfect every time but my liteon 167t sucks.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Its very possible that your new DVD-Rom is bad. When you remove it, does everything function normal? Try it that way. If thats the case, then you have your answer.

Other wise it does sound a bit like dual masters on one IDE. Are you "sure" that the actual little jumpers on the back are set right, Master should be all the way to the right when looking at the back of your drive, and slave setting is the center jumper position.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. zeff116

zeff116 Guest

I have purchased and replaced my dvd rom 2 times with two different brands and each one would only read less then 2x. Also, everything else is working fine. My burner read like it should. I am stuck and don't have any other choice but to read to my hd with my burner and then burn my dvd. I heard reading with a burner shortens the life. Is that true?