1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRM Pro Simple Operations

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by vurbal, Sep 13, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Since I don't have the time or motivation to write my second DRM guide yet, I thought I'd start posting some instructions for simple operations people might get some use from. If you have any ideas to contribute, please do, but try to stay away from long, involved processes. As a general rule, if you can explain it in a short paragraph (2 at the most) it's fine. If it requires a longer explanation than that it's probably not simple enough. If you have a question that's not directly related to one of the operations mentioned, please start a new thread.

Disclaimer: These are intended to be general guidelines based on examples from specific discs. You may have to change them slightly to make them work or they may not work at all. Every disc is different. If something doesn't work, you may be able to figure out what to change by examining the commands in each VTS involved.

2. vurbal

1. Skipping Aspect Ratio Selection menu that plays when you select the Play Movie button
    If you have a DVD with both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions of the movie, at some point there should be a menu where you select the aspect ratio you want to watch. If you remove one copy of the movie, there's no point in having this menu, but there's normally no default selection. If the AR Selection menu appears when you play the movie (instead of before the main menu plays) you can normally copy the command from the button that selects the aspect ratio you're keeping and replace the command on the Play Movie button with it. You should be able to hide the AR Selection menu with no ill effects after doing this.

2. Adding chapter-forward to menu
    If you can't use the Chapter-Forward button on your remote to go to the menu from the last chapter on a title, you can fix this by adding an "empty" chapter to the end of the title. Select the PGC for the title you need to add a chapter to in the DVD Tree pane and right-click on any chapter (program) in the PGC pane. Select "Add program" from the dropdown menu. Now you have a blank chapter at the end. When you use the Chapter-Forward button during the last real chapter, it will skip to the chapter you just added, which will take no time to play and send you back to the menu (or wherever it would normally send you after the title plays).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  3. dimad

dimad Regular member

Here are couple more examples (with datailed step by step explanation) of what can be done with DvdReMake Pro (until Vurbal will find time to put all these together in some nice guide ;) ):

[bold]More detailed info on "Skipping Aspect Ratio Selection menu"[/bold]:
    http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/guide_ht_bypass_menu.php

[bold]Insert chapter into DVD movie keeping menus[/bold]: http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/ht_insert_chapter.php

There are some more info at DRM Pro info page: http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/info.php

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.dimadsoft.com - home of MenuEdit and DvdReMake tools[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

TigraoZT

Interesting image but this is way off topic. I don't think that Vurbal will be happy with someone using his thread for their own personal agenda.

5. vurbal

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

dimad

Thanks for the links. Will there ever be a users manual? Perhaps a glossary?

7. dimad

dimad Regular member

@Sophocles: from my discussion with a respected afterdawn'er it looks very possible that in near future there will be a fully-bladed DvdReMake Pro user manual. ;)

8. vurbal

I heard a rumor to that effect ;)

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I have a question (if this is posted in the wrong area, let me know and i will erase it and put it in the right place) reguarding removing Menus on LOTR 2 (Extended Edition incase anyone wants to know), well, I am trying to get rid of the Menus entirely, and so i right click on the Menu and "Delete EN Menu" is disabled. I tried "Hide All Blocks" but, after i export it and run it in RB, it gets to the "Rebuild" phase and fails on the 5th or so segment. I get a "Error #0003" "Buffer Overflow" error, which if i recall is an error meaning the DVD could not rebuild itself properly.

Anyone else experence this? If so, how do i get rid of the menus and properly rebuild this DVD?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Pop_Smith

You have to take care with what you remove using Remake which means you really have to study the structure of each specific DVD. If you unintentionally remove a part of a DVD that is linked to another part of the DVD you could make it non compliant. If you don't hack it up too bad then most transcoders don't seem to have a problem with this but RB can be unforgiving.

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

ok, I will watch the DVD (@ least the menu part) and take note on what parts lead to were, thank you.

12. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

@Pop_Smith, you say you are trying to get rid of the menu's completely as in movie only?

you can hide the menu's with DVDRemake but then you will cripple the DVD as nothing will show that will play the movie. You could change the first play command but it will depend on the commands in the PGC as to how it plays

one way to create a movie only with DRM is to start a new project and add the movie PGC. You will also have to create the commands and add a few things :(

the simplest and fastest way is just to use DVDShrink and No Compression and grab the title that contains the movie using reauthor mode. Stick that through DVDRebuillder afterwards

p.s. I hope I read your post right :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD Backup Tools and Guide

http://www.Deano.dsl.pipex.com/dvdremake/dvdremake.htm
    http://www.DVDStripper.com[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  13. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

GOOD ADVICE (SERIOUSLY), thanks big for that. I will try that and get back to you guys.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Lately I've had several people asking about merging a flipper disc with DvdReMake and only having one menu. It's been stickied. Thanx flip :>)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi guys,

Hope this is the right place for my question, if not I apologize. I have DRM but not the pro version, anyway why on some ripped folders (with dvdd) after they are inported into DRM do I get an error message saying there were problems with some files check the log? The log is full of invalid block headers. I go ahead and edit out the previews as I normally would and export to a folder. I then load the edited file into Marks Tray Player. Sometimes they will play ok sometimes they won't. I only have this problem when I get the invalid block headers. What does this mean and what causes them? Would the pro version resolve this problem? I know that you can remove parts of the dvd structure and make it non-compliant. I am careful not to do this and as stated previously the only time I have problems is when I get invalid block headers error after importing the folder. Many Thanks, I'm still learning.

Marty

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Mort81

Invalid Block Headers is a loose term not limited to just video or even multi media files, perhaps it's related to the operating system directly. I really can't help you with this one. I haven't even used the new version of Remake yet bacause my time has been spent building zentarium and www.dvdhounds.com. Perhaps Vurbal could answer this one although I wouldn't count on but you could ask.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks Soph,

I seldom have this problem so I'm not too concerned. The dvd causing the problem BTW is Hitch. Thanks again.

Mort

18. dimad

dimad Regular member

One more thing is added to the list of DvdReMake "simple operations": convert menus to still.

Actually it is quite generic and can be also used to easily replace menu background with custom image

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

dimad

It's been so long since you've joined us. I've been using DVDremake for different purposes than I used to. It's great for saving movie images. I capture numerous screen shots with remake and then use them to make screen savers with.