1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drop outs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by duckstuff, May 13, 2004.

1. duckstuff

duckstuff Guest

i have a lite-on dvd burner and it does not matter what type of back up software i use be it dvdxcopy or decrypter or shrink it always seems to happen that at chapter 16 and on the back up starts to fail and have drop outs, it soon becomes unwatchable but can still be played on the computer but not the dvd player and i have tried the back ups on two other dvd players with the same results. i am now wondering if it could be the type of media i am recording on. any help or advice would be greatly helpfull thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sure sounds like a media problem. What are you using?

3. duckstuff

duckstuff Guest

they are called sowhat 4x dvd-r iwas told they were supossed to be good but i am beginning to think other wise could you tell me the type i should be using

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

They're really called "SoWhat"? That's a rather unusual name to say the least.

Some good media to try would be the likes of Ritek G04, Verbatim Metal AZO or Taiyo Yuden. Riteks can be had for under a buck apiece online and are an outstanding disc.

Another good thing to do would be to update the firmware on your drive. Newer firmwares typically help media compatibility. Here's a link to Lite On firmwares, just be extra sure you use the correct firmware for your exact model drive:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=17

5. Braxas

Braxas Member

I agree. I'd stick with the name brands. Stay away from CMC Magnetic media (Memorex, TDK, etc.. all can use CMC Magnetics to produce their media - they don't have to be the expensive discs!) with the Lite-On burner. I think I've only gotten one or two good burns with them out of a 100 pack - well, I gave up after going through about 30-35 of them or so and ended up giving the rest to my dad since his NEC 2500a can burn on them perfectly all day long. For the Lite-On, Ritek media would certainly be your best bet.

I'd love to see the media code on those "SoWhat" DVD-R's. They sound just lovely. :p

6. fishcakes

fishcakes Guest

FYI:

I agree that the "origional" Memorex 4X DVD's, with the Blue label were junk.

The new ones (purple label 4X) seem very good. I've gone thru 2 - 1oo pk spindles, with NO coasters. These are pretty reliable, and I've tested them all after burning.

Remember, when in doubt... burn to a RW first.