1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping frames when capturing to another hard drive

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by hanspard, Dec 1, 2003.

1. hanspard

hanspard Member

Hello!

Searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to my question. I'm capturing video/audio using an Osprey 200 card. I get perfect captures when capturing to my "C" drive, the drive that I use for Windows and software installation, but I get worthless captures (dropping more frames than capturing) when I try to capture to my new "D" drive that I bought strictly for this. Anyone know why my new drive would not be capturing? Thanks!

Justin

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You prolly have a DMA vs PIO problem......To Check for DMA: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

3. hanspard

hanspard Member

Thanks for the info. I adjusted my settings to what you recommended, but alas, still my captures are riddled with dropped frames. Any other ideas?

4. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

well ... is your D drive connected to another drive such as a cdrom? Try connecting the drives to one cable and your roms to the same cable. Make sure that the DMA is active ... if the drive doesn't support it (mostlikely it does) it might be system conflict. What rpm / buffer size is the D drive? Did you set your virtual mem to the D drive or any other background ops?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

All of your Hard drives should be on the Same IDE 1 chanell and your CD/DVD Drives have to be on the Second IDE Chanell, Never Mix CD/DVD Drives and Hard drives on the same IDE Chanell...And if your C Drive is a 7200rps and your D Drive is a 5400rpm then that could be why you are dropping Frames and allways make sure your Drives are Defragmented.....Cheers

6. Praetor

Any why not? :)

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Because if you Put a ATA/100 or ATA/133 Hard drive on the same IDE Chanell as a ATA/33 CD/DVD Drive the Harddrive will Only run at ATA/33 Cuz Devices on the same Ide Chanell Run at the speed of the Slowest Device....

8. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

Right on ...

It limits the speed of the hdd ...

9. Praetor

Yes Im aware of the lowest-common-speed thingy but I havnt encountered issues like that and I'm running with shared devices (i.e., I dont like two optical drives on the same channel).

IDE1: HDD, CDRW
    IDE2: HDD, DVDR
    RAID1: HDD
    RAID2: Nothing for now.

I used to do it the other way also but then I got carried away with IDE cable origami and airflow and it was just more convenient to have the drives arranged as stated. I didnt notice jack difference/drop in transfer nothing after that change. Makes sense on paper but in practice maybe I got lucky?

Perhaps we should stop hijacking this thread hehe, PM me or something l8tr :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004