1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A (DW-U10A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mike00, Jan 21, 2003.

1. barn.door

barn.door Guest

agree with mynuts about DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and NERO strongly

2. pwit

pwit Member

Ok, what should i use to burn the DVD though? I'm only trying to back up some data!!

3. Tecy

Tecy Guest

RecordNow Max does all. I use this to back up data and burn the dvds no problems.
    Also use DVD srink rip ad decrypt and DVD Lab to Author my dvds. these 3 programs seem to do all i need.

4. barn.door

barn.door Guest

pwit, Roxio Easy CD&DVD Creator 6 packet writes OK with my DW-U10A,
    i decrypt with DVD Decrypter & burn them with Clone DVD!

5. wellfan

wellfan Member

Hi,
    Here is my story, very similar to Rudy1979.
    1)Upgraded Nero 6.0.0.15 to Nero 6.0.0.19
    2)Upgraded the firmware to the DRU-500A and then to the latest firmware update 2.0g
    3)Used DVDShrink to shrink my DVD-9's to DVD-5
    4)Then used Nero 6.0.0.19 on DVD-video mode to burn my DVDs.
    5)Intervideo WinDVD or Windows Media Player for playback, Power DVD was very temperamental

I burn DVDs at 4X and they take approximately 15 minutes. No coasters yet (touch wood)

NB here is my system

AMD Athlon 2500XP
    Mobo: ECS L7S7A2
    1GB RAM
    120GB HDD
    Liteon 16X DVD-ROM
    Sony DWU10A (upgraded to DRU500A f/w 2.0g)
    nVidia Geforce4 MX440 AGPx8

I use Bulkpaq Orange 4x DVD-R's.
    My home DVD is a Minato G6, it is very fussy when playing copies. So I purchased a Ronin P807 from ebuyer.com for £37+vat. This Ronin DVD is awesome. It plays DVD-R and DVD-RW. It also plays TV programmes I have copied from my computer TV card to hard drive and then to DVD-RW, I just copy and paste the recorded TV programme from hard drive to Nero and 'bingo', I can watch the recorded programme on my TV using my Ronin DVD player. I am totally amazed, this DVD player is absolutely brilliant. I note that ebuyer have increased the price very slightly since yesterday, obviously in response to the good feedback the player is receiving. My only minor concern with the player is that it makes a rather obtrusive 'ticking' sound when playing a DVD, this is only a problem when playing a recorded DVD, it may be the bulkpaq DVD,s that are causing the slight increase in noise. I shall feedback after using a different make of media.
    Perhaps I am being overly fussy, do all DVD players make a ticking noise on playback?
    David

6. zafonica

zafonica Member

Hi David, when you say that your Ronin DVD player plays TV programmes that you burned using your TV card do you mean that it can play avi or mpeg files that are burnt straight on to a DVD R as data files?

7. wellfan

wellfan Member

Hi Zafonica,
    It has been a long day, but here is what I can remember. I record TV to hard disc, I believe they are MPEG files. I then copy to Nero and burn. I am then able to view on my Ronin DVD player.
    I shall hopefully give you more detail tomorrow.
    David

8. zafonica

zafonica Member

Hello again David did you manage to find out if the Ronin player wil play mpeg or avi files straight off a data DVD?

Cheers

David

9. wellfan

wellfan Member

Hi zafonica,
    Sorry for the delay. I honestly am not very sure what you mean, I am not very computer literate. What I can do is record a TV programme using my Winfast 2000 TV card, this is stored on my hard drive as a MPEG file. I then burn using Nero 6 onto a Datawrite DVD-RW as an ISO file or UDF file if over 2Gb.
    My Ronin player then plays it. If I put a data DVD, such as you get free with computer magazines, it will load the menu and give access to certain images such as JPEG files.
    I am sure this has not answered your question.
    David

10. zafonica

zafonica Member

Hi David, thanks for your reply it looks like the Ronin has the ability to play movie files that have not been converted to a DVD format (ie two folder called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS

I will check it out and thanks for the info

Cheers

David

11. wellfan

wellfan Member

Hi zafonica,
    Yes, I think I know what you mean. When copying a DVD film you have two folders called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. When I record a TV programme the files are not called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS and the resultant copy plays on my Ronin player. I was wondering if anyone else notices a rather obtrusive ticking noise coming from their home DVD player, particularly when playing copies. The ticking is less obtrusive when playing originals. Is this a peculiarity of all home DVD players?

12. SKIP

SKIP Guest

can someone please telling me why they are flashing the DW-U10A to the DRU-500A my new system came with the DW-U10A and it is the first DVD RW i have owned...is it a piece of junk or is it down to personal preference,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2003
  13. mynutts

mynutts Guest

No Skip, it's not junk. The main purpos of flashing the drive is to allow it to write to DVD+R at 4X rather than 2.4X...a diffrence of about 7min per disk.

14. SKIP

SKIP Guest

Hi MyNutts...thanks for that and sorry about the late reply...i have just spoken the Manufacturer where i brought new P.C From and they told me my DVD R/W does write -/+ and will write on a double sided DVD disk... which is good news for me...but i would sooner listen to people like yourself who will tell you the truth...but regardless of the pro's and con's i am enjoying my hobby.

15. gere

gere Member

Sony DVD DW--U10A is not working properly with DVD X COPY (any version).
    Windows XP stops the process at finalization... Does anybody experienced the same problem ?
    With NERO I can burn correctly 4X.

Would it help to flash it to DRU500-A ?

Thks

16. brergo

brergo Member

Ok, I just spent quite a while reading this thread and am thoroughly confused. I am looking at purchasing a Sony DVD drive for my computer primarily to create DVD's from edited home video. I was originally looking at the DRU510A which I can get for $150 at CompUSA, but after reading this thread am totally confused as to which model Sony is the best to go with. Can anyone summarize the available models and pluses and minuses for a newbie please?

17. pilotpaul

pilotpaul Guest

In easy cd creator I am showing my Sony DRU500AX as Firmware version 2.0C. I have dowloaded from Sony site 2.0G, unzipped it,after running upgrade it says you have to restart computer before it can continue. This I do but nothing else seems to happen. when checking Easy Cd it still shows 2.0C. can any one tell me why its not changing and what the easy way to see what version the drive is currently using.

18. wellfan

wellfan Member

In Windows XP, go to programs/accessories/system tools/system information/components/CD-Rom. You should find it beside PNP device ID.

19. walterman

walterman Guest

I hate this problem:

Nero starts to write LeadIn & after around 1m10s
    it starts to Write Track & inmediately : WRITE FAIL !
    & your disk is broken & totally unrecordable.

I just want to know why this burner, brokes all disks
    when it starts to write the Track after writing LeadIn.

It specially happens on 4x Princo/BulqPak Disks.

How to fix it ?

My config:
    Pentium III 1 GHz
    512 MB PC133
    Asus CUV4X
    GeForce 2 MX
    60GB Maxtor HDD (Primary/Master) (80 pin cable)
    LG 48x CD Burner (Secondary/Master) (80 pin cable)
    DW-U10A (2.0g) (Secondary/Slave) (80 pin cable)
    Windows XP SP1 + VIA 4.49v + Detonator 45.23
    Nero 5.5.10.42

Note:
    · This is my "dedicated" computer to burn CD/DVD.
    No other programs are installed. Just a fresh WinXP
    installation with the minimun software to run & burn.
    · Also, this is my 2nd DW-U10A. I thought that my
    1st one was broken, but, same problem with 2nd one.

Things that i've tested, facts, ... :
    · Set Drive as master & alone in Secondary channel: KO
    · Clone DVD / DVD Decrypter : KO
    · Win2k / Win98 : KO
    · 40&80 pin GOOD quality IDE cables : KO
    · Firmwares from 1.1c to 2.0g: KO
    · Princo 4x, Datawrite 2x/4x, BulkPaq 4x, Sentinel 2x, Verbatim 2x, ...
    all sorts of brands of -R disks have same problem : KO
    · Drive Works near perfect with +R disks. : OK
    · I've written around 200 disks with this 2nd DW-U10A

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2003
  20. Rudy1979

Rudy1979 Member

Walterman
    try upgrading the firmware to 2.0g. That seems to have solved most people's problems with this drive.

Rudy