1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A (DW-U10A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mike00, Jan 21, 2003.

1. malecar

malecar Guest

I too had to buy the dw-u10a and i have converted to the dru-500a, i had no problems and didn't have to disable the dma.Just make sure all other programs are closed down.

2. dlb_abz

dlb_abz Member

I have this drive, have not flashed it. it is working great.

Why change something if it is working ?

dlb.

3. duke2

duke2 Member

I have the DWU-10A with f/w 1.1b It has been mentioned in earlier thread that v1.1a is 4x with dvd-r but not dvd+r and that the new DRU500AX is 4x for both formats. I only have 2X DVD-R discs so can not confirm what top speed of this drive. Can anyone comment on this version of the firmware.
    Thanks
    Malc

4. gercel

gercel Member

T-Bone, leave these PPL alone with your Questions and give the DVD Writer to me and let an expert figure it out for ya buddy. ;)

5. mmysterio

mmysterio Member

Ok you guys...I got to get something straight before I buy it. I've seen what everyone has been saying about the DW-U10A model. Since I want something that is supported I think i'm gonna buy the 500AX. I've been looking at the 500A and the 500AX. Now, I take it that the AX model probably has the same firmware as the DW-U10A model because it can burn at 4X. By looking at the specs that's all that I can see that's different. And they are the same price. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

6. dchannam

dchannam Guest

From http://www.burnworld.com/cdr/hardware/sony/dru500ax.htm , apparantly SONY is playing games.

Sony DRU500AX and ULX Second Generation DVD±RW Burner
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Model: DVD±RW Drive
    DRU500AX and ULX (USB Model)

Updated Info:
    The differences between this new generation and the previous one are:
    - Built-in support for 4X DVD-R and DVD+R. For current Dual RW owners, 4X DVD+R is offered as a download because the specification wasn't in place when we announced the first-generation drives.
    - Same is true for VERITAS DLA (drive letter access) and RecordNow DX software. They've both recently become available, so we're bundling them w/this new generation instead of offering them as a download.
    - Lastly, Sony's been able to tweak the drives' firmware to even further boost their reading speeds.

Already own the first generation, don't worry. Sony is saying that you will be able to download a firmware update to get the latest additions to the drive. See official site for firmware update

7. mmysterio

mmysterio Member

Ok..I just bought the 500AX and tried to copy a regular cd. No problem. When I put in a dvd it said that there was an error..either dirty disk or source drive was slow. So I decided to try a diff. disk and use the burner as the source drive. I get the same error. Am I doing something wrong??? Thanks

8. JDecal

JDecal Guest

Mmysterio- Where did you find the DRU 500 AX? I've been waiting for mine for over a month.

9. mmysterio

mmysterio Member

Hey..got an AX at circuitcity...cost of $300p/tax. Nice buy...I kinda screwed them saying bestbuy had a cheaper price. Anyway, good luck finding one though. This store only has one more, and I can't find anymore anywhere.

10. dchannam

dchannam Guest

www.sonystyle.com, www.shopper.com, www.pricegrabber.com, will all find you places that have it in stock. Ordered mine from Sony yesterday, it shipped today.

11. malecar

malecar Guest

hi all,
    i have a problem with sound,can anyone please help.i have an mpeg file which i want to burn onto dvd-r,i went to tmpge and demux the mpeg,that gave me m1v file and the sound file was mp2.I then went into ifoedit to author my new files but after doing this i tried to play and found the sound was about 30seconds behind the vidio.
    thanks

12. BALDYJOE

BALDYJOE Guest

i have read all this thread and
    am still confused as my(DW-U10A)
    won`t reconise nero 5.5.10.7 OEM
    could this be my system using
    xp-pro amd k6-2 cpu 450 as maybe
    my prosesor is to slow or do i have
    to flash the firmware to turn it into a DRU 500a to get it to reconise nero
    thx inadvance

13. xgasman

xgasman Member

If NERO did not come with the SONY drive and it's OEM version it may only work with the drive it originally came with.

14. junky

junky Guest

A new Firmware Version called 1.1c is avaiable @ www.firmware-flash.com !!!

It improved some media problems.....

15. davew35

davew35 Member

OK guys,I'm new to this forum so apologies if i'm posting incorrectly. I have just bought the new Sony DRU-500AX, on the box it still says the following. dvd+rw 2.4x, dvd-rw 2x, dvd+r 4x and dvd-r 4x, reading this group I thought the very latest drives did 4x on every format, because this is a 500AX the sony site says the firmware upgrade is not intended for this drive, the drive its self reports firmware 2.0c, am I missing something. Can anyone recommend a way of checking the drive.

Thanks

Dave.

16. luigipret

luigipret Guest

anyone knows how to tweak the 2x dvd grabbing speed?

17. davew35

davew35 Member

A bit more info here on the DRU-500AX, go to this link, according to sony the AX version only does 2.4x in +rw mode. Below is a copy of a bit of the page plus the link for more info. I'm a bit miffed at this, I would have bought the 500A if I'd known.

Industry standard ATAPI interface for easy installation
    • Supports all popular DVD formats for maximum compatibility
    • 2.4X Recording DVD+RW, 4X Recording DVD+R, 2X Recording DVD-RW, 4X Recording DVD-R, 8X Reading (DVD-ROM Max.)
    • 24X CD-R Recording (Max.) 10 X CD-RW Recording (Max.) 32X Reading (Max.)

http://www.storagebysony.com/cd-rw/product.asp?id=202

Dave.

18. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

I have the DRU-500UL and for some reason, this drive doesn't like the older 2x CD-RW's. It will keep complaining about some error when trying to write or format the CD-RW discs but the same discs works fine in my HP 200e.

19. BALDYJOE

BALDYJOE Guest

well m8s i have now up-graded to
    nero 5.5.10.15 oem and now my
    DW-U10A works fine

@xgasman m8 the nero disc i got with
    the DW-U10A was 5.5 but it was a green
    nero disc which i had not seen before
    as its only the red nero disc i`ve seen
    plus it did`nt give me dvd options just
    cd ones and due to this i had to up-grade
    from 5.5 to 5.5.10 then 5.5.10.7b to the
    5.5.10.15 which now works with my DW-U10A
    hope this helps fellow members as they may
    need to up-grade to 5.5.10.15 for their
    DW-U10A to work

20. Gully

Gully Guest

Ok latest for you. There is now a patched version of the latest updater that allows you to reverse the process, taking you to U10a firmware 1.1c.

Look on www.rpc1.com in the forums.