1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A (DW-U10A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mike00, Jan 21, 2003.

1. mrchan

mrchan Member

has anyone tried to burn 4x DVD+R with the new updates?

2. peterkwok

peterkwok Member

3. l0necl0ne

l0necl0ne Member

Just got my DW-U10A delivered from Bigpockets.co.uk - the only place I could find them in the UK - and who didn't fib about having them in stock!

Where is the best place to get all the drivers etc as all I get is the unit no disk or anything!

Any pointers much appreciated ;)

.....http://sony.storagesupport.com has the manuals but where are the drivers etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  4. l0necl0ne

l0necl0ne Member

Hi,

I converted it to a DRU-500a 1.0g no problems but now its not recognised under 2KPro says it needs the drivers.

Am I missing something stupid here - as I can't find the drivers anywhere on line....

TIA

OK this this turning into a Diary of events....the answer was the ASPI drivers - got version 4.71.2 from Adaptec site and all OK.

Now to Burn

Last edited: May 3, 2003
  5. peterkwok

peterkwok Member

after i update fw500a20f.exe, my 500UL burn
    dvd-r(1X) at 1X only, before it burn up to 2X with fw500a10g.exe.
    so please check it out before update to 20f from 10g.
    do you have same problem after convert?
    or just my own mistake?

6. rifx

rifx Member

Sony says I must, among other things, uninstall Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) on my Dell 8250 before installing firmware, then upon reboot, IAA will reinstall automatically. Dell says don't do this, that it could ruin my computer and won't tell me how.

So I'm using DRU-500AX without firmware and so far no problems. BUT, does anyone have instructions for how to uninstall IAA on Dell? And will it really reinstall upon reboot automatically without causing problems? I need specific, detailed instructions and not general ideas.

HELP PLEASE. Someone must have a Dell 8200 series AND a Sony DRU-500A or AX.

7. pointy

pointy Guest

Hi, I have a DW-U10a that I flashed to a DRU-500a with the latest firmware (rev g) and no matter what I cannot get this drive to burn 4x DVD - media at 4x :(

I have tried all the different types of 4x media with the same results so the problem has gotta lie with my burner. I have also put the burner on various IDE channels and I feel as if I am going round and round in circles with trying to get the thing to burn at 4x.

Can anyone help me please get this thing to work the way it should?

Many thanks

8. al92lt1

al92lt1 Member

The DW-U10A will burn at 4x right out of the box. It's hard to find firmware updates and that's why many people convert it to the DRU500A. This way they can use the easier to finf firmware updates.The media that you use must be rated 4X. I bought a DW-U10A because I wanted a black faceplate.

9. pointy

pointy Guest

well my dw-u10a did not write at 4x on 4x media right out the box :(
    I updated the firmware to rev c and it still wouldnt write at 4x so I flashed it to a DRU500a and have tried all the firmware updates and still cant write at 4x.

This is using both 4x certified Princo and Ritek die media.

10. dlb_abz

dlb_abz Member

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  11. commish

commish Guest

What brand of 4x DVD-R media were you using when you got the DW-u10a to write at 4x? Also when you say original firmware, are you talking about 1.1c ? Any info you can give me on the type of media to use, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
    commish

12. dlb_abz

dlb_abz Member

I am still on firmware 1.1a

I used the red Datawrite - bigpockets.co.uk and 121cdr.co.uk have it.

dlb_abz

13. commish

commish Guest

My drive came with firmware 1.1c, I have not tried any 4x Media yet. Does anyone know of a website that lists the media that works with the DW-U10a drive. I have seen some that list media for the DRU-500a, but I did not know if this ment that it would work with the Dw-u10a.

Thanks again
    commish

14. scoobywrx

scoobywrx Guest

I used the red Datawrite - bigpockets.co.uk and 121cdr.co.uk have it...WHAT got u10 tried loads of media and had nothing but trouble converted to 500a still loads of trouble then i see red datawrite mine will not burn with any datawrite got 100 bulkpaq 2x mint colour 75 worked perfect the last 25 came up as full never managed to burn at 4x after 5 mins it drops to 1x also locks pc up when burning cdrs...A05 now springs to mind

15. pooltower

pooltower Guest

Make sure that all ASPI drivers are up to date and the latest firmware should work fine, mine does at4x no probs

16. scoobywrx

scoobywrx Guest

took it back to shop and he said it was knackered picked up an original dru 500a so lets try again.......ps when i first got it i bought 50 dero defex 1x and they burned at 2x and worked perfect also they worked on every dvd player ps2 xbox so i tried to find some today and on my voyage i found another forum anyway everyone on there said they where rubbish yet mine where fantastic...god knows thanx lads 4 the info

17. T-bone

T-bone Member

Well I have tried to burn Datawrite 4 x speed red tops and failed!!! 11 coasters so far only another 39 to go! What a load of crap these discs are.

18. al92lt1

al92lt1 Member

Try the new VERBATIM-item #94375
    DVD-R 4X
    BigAL@computer-rescue.net

19. pilotpaul

pilotpaul Guest

20. mrchan

mrchan Member

mine does 4x DVD-R just fine. havent tried 4x dvd+R yet. i've got a U10A with the latest 500A firmware.