1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A vs DRU-510A vs DW-U10A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dizaemon, Sep 10, 2003.

1. dizaemon

dizaemon Member

what is the difference between the DRU-500A and the DRU-510A drives?

recently, i ordered what i thought was a DRU-510A oem drive. after nearly a month of trying to get ahold of the company because i never received a shipping confirmation and the drive was not in my hands, i sent one last email informing them i was going to contact the local bureau of investigation in their state. i immediately received a response stating they were shipping the drive.

when it got here, it was a DW-U10A. after googling around, i've found that the DW-U10A is merely the OEM version of the DRU-500A. however, i ordered the DRU-510A! but, when looking at the capabilities of both units with their latest respective firmwares, it appears they are identical. on the flipside, i paid $50 more for this unit when the DW-U10A can be had for $150 on pricewatch.

did i get screwed? or did the company just fusk up? did they send me the wrong drive or can the DW-U10A with the latest firmware be passed off as an "OEM DRU-510A" unit?

my first dvd burner, and i think i just got ripped off by a bullshitting company for $50.

thanks in advance,

-mike

2. kC2003

kC2003 Member

dizaemon, i bought a Sony DW-U10A drive about a week and i can tell to you that drive is the OEM version of DRU-510A, because the OEM version (DW-U10A) now record DVD+/-RW a 4x and of couse DVD+/-R a 4x , too!!

Now is waiting for a DVD+/-RW media at 4x to test the drive!

3. dizaemon

dizaemon Member

so, what's the difference in the DRU-500A and DRU-510A? merely the 2.4x -> 4x bump for + media?

man. if i knew that the DW-U10A was the OEM version of the DRU-510A, i definitely would have found somewhere else to purchase it. pricewatch shows several dealers letting the DW-U10A go for ~$150. looks like ignorance has cost me $50. that's money i could have spent on media.

lesson learned: check for differing model numbers between retail and oem versions in order to find the best price.

doh!

-mike

4. kC2003

kC2003 Member

You have right. The only diference is the speed to record +RW.
    2.4x to 4x!