1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU510A Rip speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jae3843, Sep 7, 2003.

1. jae3843

jae3843 Guest

I have dru510a and i use dvd decrypter to rip. I got sick of it ripping at 2x so I dled the drive speed selector from the firmware site and it suppose to rip at 12 but its still the same? does anyone know whats going on? im sure im not the only one with a dru510a who uses dvd decrypter to rip.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Make sure the drive is not set in PIA mode. It should be set in DMA mode for maximum rip speed. You have to go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ IDE Atapi/ - then right click on primary and secondary drives seperately (if you have two drives, otherwise only primary), then select properties and advanced settings and adjust the drive settings to DMA mode if they are not already selected.

3. Matador

Matador Regular member

The fastest i been able to get it to rip is 2.4x with decrypter.Most people say it's locked at the speed and will not go any faster.who knows right!

4. Withnail

Withnail Guest

Discmania is right, either go into bios to see if its set in DMA mode or use the control panel/hardware/device manager/IDE atapi. Its also best to have the hard disk and dvd rw on separate IDE channels ie have the HD on the primary and dvd rw on the secondary, this maximises data transfer. I have the above settings with the DSS software and I get 8x rip speed, does a DVD 9 in 15mins. I have also got firmware 1.0c for my 510a. Hope it helps.

5. jae3843

jae3843 Guest

It is set on dma mode. I think manador is right. there is a lock on the program itself. Are you guys saying you guys rip faster on dvd decrypter? Are you guys using dru510a?

6. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Let me help Y'all.

The DRU's are ALL set to rip at around 2x max. It is indicated in all of the literature and each of the firmware updates restricts the rip speeds identically.

No hacks that I am aware of can change the speed and certainly no program like decrypter or smart ripper will make it go any faster.

SOLUTION: Buy a cheap lite on or other brand DVD rom drive and use IT to rip and the Sony to burn. I do and rip around 10x on an average.

7. smiler123

smiler123 Guest

I have the f firmware on my DRU and it still rips at 2x

8. koola

koola Guest

I upgraded my Firmware to a hacked version letting me rip at just under 10x. There are lots on the net, just look harder!

9. Matador

Matador Regular member

I used DSS and it lets me rip @ 8X using Decrypter

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  10. Prank

Prank Guest

Koola, do U think a hacked upgrade like that would void warrenty, and do you know whether there is any good reason why the firmware has restricted the read rate to x2, mine went faulty after 2 days, during a burn, and it had a rip speed above x4. When I got it back it is now stuck on x2. I would hate to hack the burner and not be able to claim on warrenty if it broke. Also I would hate to wear it out because I got impatient. But I am impatient and want it to rip faster, so do you think it is worth looking for?

11. jae3843

jae3843 Guest

you don't have to use the hack. There is a software called drive speed selector for DRU510a
    its on sony's website. I realized that any program that has no effect from the drive speed selector has to be hacked tho.

12. Matador

Matador Regular member

Try to update ur firmware from sony and use DSS check if that helps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  13. Prank

Prank Guest

Yeah downloaded it from the Sony Site, Works nice, I am getting between 4x and 8x Now

14. Prank

Prank Guest

15. smiler123

smiler123 Guest

Thanx that's been bugging me for ages

16. MrMagloo

MrMagloo Member

Sorry to intrude guys, but I have a quick question. I'm considering buying a dru510a and noticed that you can get the oem version much cheaper. the only difference is getting the cable and the software disc. I don't need the cable, but am concerned about the software.

In that sony support link above, it seems that most of the software is downloadable there. Is there anything missing thats on the disc?

I'd love to try to save the extra $'s but it's just not worth getting into a jam. Any recommendations either way? Can you just get a copy of the original disc?

TIA.

17. Prank

Prank Guest

MrMagloo : Brand new DRU510A's are prone to going faulty. It is only likely to do it to you once, then you claim on warrenty and get a perfect replacement. 3 out of 5 people I know who bought this model had the same problem including me. (Mine locked up during a burn preventing me from opening the drive again). The point is Warrenty, make sure that the OEM Version is Fully Covered by Sony not by anyone else.

As for the Software most of it is useless, cept for PowerDVD and RecordNow. There is nothing in the bundle that you couldn't find an equivelant for on the net.

18. jae3843

jae3843 Guest

yea as the software goes, it really sucks. you can have mine if u want.

19. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member