1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS drowned. Way to know which component is dead?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by broken_gameboy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. broken_gameboy

broken_gameboy Member

So I didnt put the lid on my nalgene incorrectly and thus fill my backpack with water and apparently shorted my DS (phat).

Now whenever I try to power on, the green LED and the bottom screen both flash for a moment before they turn off again. So its basically powering off within a second of turning on. It still charges though. And Im sure it is completely dry. I left it on in my car on a sunny day, then put it in a bag of rice, then left on top of an oven at a restaurant for an evening.

Ive read that if the top screen doesnt do anything, and the bottom still flashes white, then that means the top lcd is dead, or unplugged.

However, would the same thing happen if you had a short somewhere on the motherboard?

So to break it down:

hit power button > green LED on > bottom screen flashes white (top does nothing) > system powers down (both LED and bottom screen off)

Can someone point me in the right direction? Are there other, more appropriate forums to ask this question?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The screen that does not flash can be the faulty one, however when a DS has been wet it is not always so clearcut.

Repairing the motherboard is a thankless task, most components are surface mount and even with the right tools changing a component on the board is not easy.

Try the screen but it may also need a motherboard as well, so it may well be time to give up and replace it

3. broken_gameboy

broken_gameboy Member

Well, there is an auction for the bottom half of a DS on ebay, some guy's kid broke it in half and lost the top, it seems to not be damaged internally, so I'm thinking about buying it and switching out motherboards. I'm just not sure if that is the part that shorted. It is the most likely, I would think, since it's the most complex piece of hardware in the ds, so there's more opportunity for a short to happen.