1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS Lite screen flickers and won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mave88, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mave88

mave88 Member

My little girls DS Lite will not turn on the screens flicker and it turns back off. I checked the fuses F1 & F2. They are good. I checked ribbon cables and they are all connected. I would be really greatful if someone could help.

Thank You For Your Time

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Ribbon cable could be broken/fractured.

Top or bottom screen could be bad.

It's difficult to tell without selectivly replacing with known good spares.

1)Buy a new one
    2)Send to Nintendo for repair
    3)Buy a used working unit to troubleshoot with.

Logic board could still be bad but probably not if you get the unit to blink.

3. mave88

mave88 Member

If one screen is bad could it cause the other to not work?

Thank You For Your Time

4. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Yes

If one of the screens is not connected properly then you get this problem, I have has a problem with the top creen, used to flicker if the unit was knocked, sfter a while refused to turn on, it was a fault on the top screen. A lot easier to do if you have parts to swap around. For parts look at dealextreme.com Screens £6 free delivery.

5. mave88

mave88 Member

Now my son's DS Lite is doing the samething now. But the oppsite screens are blinking on his. So I swapped screens and it still does the samething. Does this mean the screens are good and it's something else?

Thank You Very Much For Your Help

6. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The screen that is not flickering is generally the faulty unit, if you have swapped the screens and the problem does not change over, try looking at the connectors, if you don't get the screen cable fully in (& on some DS's the cable is very tight) you get the same issue, most of the time the fault is with the top screen as this is the one that gets moved about the most (cable goes over the hinge)

7. mave88

mave88 Member

I fixed my little boy's DS by putting a top screen in. Thanks very much for the help. But my little girl's is still doing the same thing. I put a bottom screen in it. Could the touch screen cause this to?

And Thank's Again For All The Help

8. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Usually if the power light comes on (for a couple of seconds) the board is OK it then fails on its system check (checking the screens etc, it could be the connector, I had one that was so tight to get it I was not putting it in far enough, if it is a lite then the shoulders on the cable should be touching the connector, if its a Phat then the dark part of the cable (thick bit) should line up with the white line marked on the board

9. mave88

mave88 Member

The light comes on and the top screen flickers then it shut's off. I put a new bottom screen it. But it still does the same. Could the touch screen cause this it is the only screen I have not replaced?

Thanks

10. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

I have never heard of the touch screen causing it, to check just disconnect the 4 way and then power up the DS, I would suspect a bad connection on the connector or in rare circumstances a faulty replacement screen. Have you got another to check it with?

11. mave88

mave88 Member

No I don't have another one that was the third different bottom screen I have tried. The connectors are in as far as the will go. Is their anything else I could try?

Thank You Very Much

12. dailun

dailun Active member

Probably a bad top screen as well. In my repair experience I find that the top screens are much more suceptible to damage (ribbon cable fractures) than bottom screens (relatively short ribbon cable)

13. mave88

mave88 Member

But would that cause the bottom screen not to work and the top one to just flicker?

Thank's