1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS on CDR

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ricob, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ricob

ricob Member

I tried to burn a DTS file (wav) on a CDR but I wasn't able to play the file on my Home cinemaset. The only thing i heard was noise. Do I have to convert this file first to something else? My cinemaset does play dts from a dvd. The AVR has a dolby dig and dts decoder on board the DVDplayer is connected through a coaxial cable.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you cannot put a multichannel format such as DTS on a CDR. CD audio only plays stereo 44.1khz 16 bit PCM audio. your cd player was playing the cd you created as a data CD, hence the noise. Your only bet at burning a DTS file would be creating an Audio-DVD

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats not entirely accurate.

read DTS as a codec (also check-out [bold]Coherent Acoustics[/bold]):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS

There are such things as DTS CDs but I don't think they can be read in anything but DTS certified players.

Ced

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

wow thanks diabolos I had no clue DTS was possible on CD. my mistake.

5. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

"There are such things as DTS CDs but I don't think they can be read in anything but DTS certified players. "

Not exactly true.

There is a difference between DVD's with DTS Audio and DTS CD's. The DVD's can only pass the DTS bitstream if the DVD player is set up to do so, but a DTS CD can be played back on ANY CD player. As long as the CD player has a digital output, and your amplifier can decode DTS, you're in business. It doesn't matter how old the CD player is, and it doesn't have to be "DTS Certified" as most DVD players are now.

I have several DTS CD's, and they can be copied just like any other CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2005
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Since you need a digital out I would think that that would make it a DTS certified player. I didn't mean that it had to be special I just knew that it wasn't analog. I have heard mixed results with ripping DTS-CDs but if its easy for you then thats cool.

I'm also sure its possible to have a CD/SACD player that has 6 pre-amped out puts for amps that don't support DTS proccessing. That to me would make it a truly certified DTS player.

charlie-w, if you could explain to me or point me in the direction of somthing that could explain to me the difference between DTS on DVDs and DTS on CDs I would be very appreciative!

No prob. djscoop,
    Ced

7. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

All, I'm a newbie to making DVD backups and a newbie to this thread, so please bear with me. First questions - what exactly is DTS? What is DTS an acronym for?

My goal - I'm using Shrink and Decrypter, trying to create a backup of my DVD movies with a working menu so that the backup doesn't automatically start to play when inserted into my pc or DVD player. I was told to try Shrink in Full Disk mode to get a working menu but that's not the real problem.

In Full Disk Mode I hit Open Disk. Shrink does it's thing. For my part under the Audio heading I put a check in the DTS 5.1-ch English and under the SubPicture heading a check in English-Normal Captions in case I'm making a backup of a movie with sub-titles in Elvish like Lord Of The Ring. No audio checks anywhere else. I've set Shink to automatically use Decrypter to do the rest.

When it's all finished, which takes roughly an hour for I,Robot and I try to play the movie in my pc first, later tested in my Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder/burner with 40G hard-drive, plays DVD-R and DVD-RAM rewritables, I always get an error message saying something like neither my pc nor my DVD player can play the Audio portion of my backup. No problem with the Video portion, plays great, but no sound.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

8. bitbrain2

bitbrain2 Member

9. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

DTS= Digital Theater Sound. The so called DTS CDs are not really CDs since they do not conform to the Redbook standard. It tricks the players into thinking it's a CD so the player passes the digital info along to the decoder on your receiver. Trouble is, your receiver may not recognize it automatically so if you set your reiver to dts mode, it should play. Assuming you did burn the DTS disc correctly.

10. lillo74

lillo74 Member

hello,
    i have a problem. I have got some DTS-wav files. I try to burn them as cd-audio but the only result is a
    1 Kb audio file. I tried different burning software.
    can you help me ?
    thanks a lot

11. jjolson

jjolson Member

Did you read and follow the guide?

12. lillo74

lillo74 Member

13. lillo74

lillo74 Member

Is anybody on line?
    I have followed the guide. I have tried to make dts and wav files using surcode. Obtained only noise. Using softencode the resulting AC3 file it's ok.
    Somebody tells that DTS-wav files may be burned directly as audio CD, isn't it ?

14. jjolson

jjolson Member

You get only noise, where? If you're playing the files on a system without a DTS decoder it sounds just like noise.

15. daphy

daphy Guest

Hi,

every DTS-CD can be replayed by every 'normal' CD Player
    under two conditions:

1. the player must be connected digitally to your amp -> single chinch or optical f.e. TOSlink (and this is the point where you stumbles)
    2. the amp must be able to decode DTS (read manual!)

CYA Daphy

16. lillo74

lillo74 Member

thanx for the answer.
    but I am not an unprepared. My DVD player is connected via optical link to my amp that has all codec(DTS; DTS neo 6; DD PLII ;DD EX and so on, I think it is a good amplifier!)
    the question is :
    my files are DTS-WAV with .wav extension. I can play them with VLC on my PC. Gspot says that they are wav files with 1411 kb/s (705/ch, stereo) bitrate and 44KHz sampling frequency.
    when I play them with VLC, the property window tells me that the files are DTS audio type.
    Hence my final purpose is to put DTS-wav file on a DVD and play them in my DVD player.
    Someone says that all you have to do is to burn DTS-wav files on a CD as CD-audio. I tried it but it does not work. So I thought to follow the guide that was posted on the forum. Applying method 1, obtained dts files don't work, I heard only noise. Applyng method 2 AC3 files work correctly, but I do not know how to burn it on a DVD support.
    By reading all around I learn that if I want to burn DTS on a CD it has be done with 44KHz file, while only 48KHz files can be burn on a DVD support, but what is the file extension?
    thanx a lot

17. daphy

daphy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2005
  18. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Did you try making a DVD Audio disk using Nero?

19. daphy

daphy Guest

sorry no support of DVD-Audio at the moment :(

20. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Hi all, sorry for long delay!! i haven't been to afterdawn in 2 months!! hope all is going well. tallguy53, mike