1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS or AC3?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by uzirider, Oct 1, 2004.

1. uzirider

uzirider Member

When making a backup and I have the choice, which is higher quality; DTS or AC3 5.1? My audio equipment plays both yet I am not sure what the difference is.

Is AC3 always dolby digital or could it be straight dolby surround?

I have used the search function and google but I am still confused.

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Let me see if I remember correctly AC3 5.1 is Dolby Surround and DTS is Dolby Digital. Since your equipment handles both, the difference you'll have to judge for yourself from listening. For me personally the difference is a whole bunch of megabytes.

3. Saber

Saber Member

Hi.

AC3 or 5.1 is another name for Dolby Digital.
    Dolby Souround is what is used to refer to 2ch dolby or Dolby Pro Logic.

DTS is an entirely different format, nothing to do with Dolby Digital. Stands for Digital Theartre System.
    Where possible I will always use DTS as it is a far better format then DD. Ther base and Trebel reporduction for DTS is much better then DD. The trade of is that DTS isn't compresed as much as DD and hence takes up more room on the DVD.

However this is like the Ford v Holden question. You are either a Ford man or a Holden man. Same with DD and DTS.
    Hopw this helps.

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

OK I did a little google and found this definition for DTS....

DTS
    Digital Theater Systems Digital Sound. A product of DTS, Inc., DTS is a multichannel audio compression format similar to Dolby Digital used in DVD-video discs, DVD-audio, 5.1 channel audio CDs, and some movie theaters. DTS differs from Dolby Digital in that it generally uses higher data rates and many have the opinion that DTS is better quality. DTS can only be on a DVD-video disc if accompanied by a Dolby Digital or LPCM track (for North America) or mpeg audio and LPCM (European Community) to ensure compatibility, because DVD players are only required to decode those standards in those regions.

That came from http://www.videohelp.com

So apparently I was wrong earlier. Thanks Saber ;)

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You can make a back-up that only has DTS and it may play audio on your player, but it is not a very compatible disc. That same disc will not play audio on many other players.

If you want compatibility, you should have the AC3 and if you have the extra room include the DTS.

6. 1Randyc

1Randyc Member

DTS audio track is normally substantially bigger than Dolby digital audio track, which means you need to sacrifice from video section quality.
    If choosing DTS audio result in too much compression in videos, then I guess you need to switch over to Dolby Digital or better yet split dvds into 2 to keep everything.

Now these days, even dirt cheap DVD players support DTS audio but this doesn't mean DTS audio is decoded within the player, rather it means it can pass the dts stream through digital out to your supporting audio decoder. If you are using DTS only dvd on where audio equipment isn't available like other places, you will not be able to hear any sound. Dolby digital on the other hand, can be downmixed within every dvd players out there so you can listen throgh anywhere you can plug rca cable or any headphone jack.

DTS should be better in audio quality than Dolby digital because of supposedly higher bit rate and less compression, but doesn't mean all the times. It depends on how it is mastered and encoded from the source. Even if you try to critically listen and compare DTS and Dolby Digital audio track you may not be able to tell just how DTS is better than Dolby Digital and you may need some decent audio equipment to really bring out the differences of both format.