1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dts

Discussion in 'Audio' started by adrian1, Sep 14, 2004.

1. adrian1

adrian1 Guest

please help me!
    i want a guide to convert stereo to audio dts and burning dts audio cd.
    I use a standalone dvd player(ivory) and a home theatre set of speaker(genius) for play its and i have on my pc a abit soundcard and 5.1 system of speakers.
    I have already do audio cd dts with besure, besweet and surcode and i can play on my pc but on my dvd player i can't hear nothing on surround speakers.
    If i use audio dts file download from internet it's ok on my dvd player.
    please help me to solve this problem, because i'm not an expert

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Lets try & work through this for you.
    There are actually 2 different types of DTS audio files.
    1/. DTS-CD, or DTS-WAV. These have a .WAV extension, and are surround files multiplexed into a single stream with 44.1KHz samplerate header, so they can be burned to a standard CD in any Audio CD creation software. Easier than a DVD, but they need to be played back through a DTS decoder to work.
    2/. .DTS files - these are at 48KHz, and must be authored with a DTS compatible DVD Authoring application. This is a lot harder to do.

Then, you need to actually convert the stereo file into a surround one, as the encoders do not do this for you. This has to be done first.

Can you do a couple of things for me please?
    Firstly, what stereo files are you talking about - are they 16 bit 44.1KHz WAV files?
    Secondly, does your DVD player use a built in DTS decoder, or is it hooked up to an AV amplifier, with CoAxial digital connection?

3. adrian1

adrian1 Guest

Mr. Wilkes-Senior Member
    Thank you for the your help.
    I use a stand alone dvd player which have like supported formats dts, dolby digital, dvd video, etc.
    It is connected to an av amplifier with 5.1 channels(active 5.1 home theater surround system)with analog input by three conector with double at each bottom - in ac3(5.1)input(front input r/l,surround input r/l,cen input, subinput)of active 5.1 home theater surround system.
    When i use the ac-3 input mode i don't hear the surround speakers. If i connecting the dvd player to active 5.1 home theater surround system with 2 channel analog audio input in the 2-ch input of the active 5.1 home theater surround system and i choose the cd/vcd/dvd/2ch input mode i hear music in the surround speakers. That is in the case of dts cd made by me with the method i told you. I use 16 bit 44.1KHz WAV files obtained by ripping the audio cd or encoding mp3 to wav. But i told you again -when i use dts files burn on cd(with nero, like audio cd)which are download from internet like dts files, or shn(dts encoded with surcode specified)files everything are ok.
    I thing the method i use to made dts files is wrong,or the connection of the dvd to home surround system is wrong to, or i'm dummy.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Don't worry - you are not a dummy. The trouble is that there are so many different standards here, and every company does things it's own way - the cynic in me thinks it is because they don't want to pay any royalties!

To go back to your setup:
    Using the DD or DTS from the DVD player will always result in a downmix to stereo.
    The analogue inputs on your amp are for use with a 6 channel analogue setup, and would be used in DVD-Audio or SACD if your player supports them. We do not need to think about them right now.

Now, the AC3 in on the amp - this should be the digital connection, and what needs to happen to get surround happening is to send the signal from the player out in RAW form, or Digital form. Using the 2 channel analogue inputs will only ever give you ProLogic, or matrixed surround, not discrete.

Before I can tell you exactly how to set this up, will you please tell me the make and model of both the player and the Amp?
    If the amp has a DTS decoder in it, we can get it set up for DTS surround.
    If the amp does not have a DTS decoder, it is never going to work right and you will only ever get stereo output.
    Try looking in both the player setup, and make sure that the Dolby Digital is set to "pass through", or "digital out" - not PCM.
    Same with the DTS. If it's internal DTS output is set to use the players decoder, it will always be downmixed to stereo.
    Also, the input selection on the amp must be digital also, as if it is looking for an analogue signal, again you will get matrix surround (the Lt/Rt signal, as opposed to the discrete L/R/C/LFE/Ls/Rs of DTS or Dolby Digital)

Again - don't worry.
    Let me know make & model numbers of Amp & Player, and we'll work it out from there