1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual boot Win 98 and XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rulisky, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have this really cool, old game - System Shock 2. It installs and plays well under Win 98. However, it has major issues with XP.

Have read the various forums at Looking Glass Studios on how to run this game under XP. Some people have had success, others have not. The variables revolve around SP1, SP2, your video card, etc. Anyway, I am one of the others NOT having success. My system has Win XP Home, SP2, GF6200 video card, 3.0 Ghz processor, 1Gb Ram - can provide other info if needed.

Please don't tell me about various patches and so forth to run the game on XP. Been there, done that - won't work for me.

Here is what I would like to do: Make a partition on my XP machine to run this game under Win 98. But, I have not a clue of HOW to do this. Do NOT want to wreck my current XP setup. DO have a Win 98 disk. How should I go about setting up a dual boot or whatever I should call this process in order to play this old game on my more modern computer?

Please be kind and make the instructions EASY to follow and NON dangerous to my current system. Thanks!!

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

With the game installed in XP have you set the game executable to "Windows 98 Compatibility" mode? That may work, and is worth a try before goign through the formatting process.

3. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Yes, I had already tried all available Compatibility modes. None work. Am beginning to think it might be a lost cause.

Have been reading more since posting the original comments. These readings seem to indicate there is an order to installing two (or more) OS's on one machine. In my case, I think they said to install Win 98 and then XP. If that is the case, it would mean a fresh format. That's something I want to avoid, seems messy and way to much effort for one game.

What do you think? Probably should just find another machine with 98 on it already.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I haven't dealt with Windows 98 as when it came out/was in use I was like 10. But from my dealings with PC's I believe that,like you said, installing Windows 98; will screw up your pc. The reason being it will overwrite your masterboot record, the file that tells your PC that XP is your operating system and that it should boot to XP. You could install 98 on another harddrive, and only plug the drives IDE/SATA cable in when you need it.

5. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Sounds like a good idea. I will give it a shot (when I can get another/external HD).

Thanks.

6. bmx3283

bmx3283 Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. EricCarr

EricCarr Regular member

Windows 98 will not run with 1GB of ram. The max is 512mb. I have ran into this problem before with some programs and games. I built an older PC with 512 MB of ram to run those games and programs with WIN98.

8. paderickm

paderickm Member

What you need to do is to either 1 partition your hard drive or 2 buy a smaller hard drive to install windows 98.
    I am running Windows Xp and Windows 98 on my computer at present.If you visit Microsoft's website there are various patches an so on for incompatibility issues here. Just run setup like normal and install to that drive/partition

9. paderickm

paderickm Member

Yes i forgot to add you will need drivers for your graphics card etc. you should find them on the manufacturers website

10. Leningrad

Leningrad Regular member

peainapod made a good suggestion,you can also try "run as administrator."