1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Boot Win XP onto Vista problems.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Myxotosis, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Myxotosis

Myxotosis Member

I recently purchased a brand new computer with vista already on the computer. I got used to Vista but I was having a problem running games. So I created a new partition and installed XP onto it. I thought it would be a vice versa deal with dual booting. Now my computer only boots into XP and I can't boot into Vista anymore. I've tried some "boot programs" and every time I boot from my "Vista" partition it goes into XP. I checked the Vista partition and the boot.ini file is there. Is there a way I can correct this? I've tried messing around with the boot.ini inside of XP but it doesn't recognize Vista.

I guess the problem is that can you install XP after you install Vista?

Or is the only way to dual boot is the first install XP then Vista?

2. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

im sorry you are in trouble windows xp cannot be on the same hard drive as vista your machine now needs to be formatted and started from scratch

and by the way if you are a gamer i would have stayed vista because direct x 10 requires vista and vista only no xp support

3. Myxotosis

Myxotosis Member

I fixed the problem. Windows XP and Vista can work as long as they aren't on the same partition. I fixed the Vista boot by running Vista boot pro which restored they way Vista boots since it's different than XP. Here is the program: http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Works like a charm. I'm dual booting for now until Vista can run my games properly. I definitely recommend dual booting for now.