1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer burning on Pioneer 106D

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by RussReef, Jun 7, 2004.

1. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Anyone doing it? IIRC, they had a 106D doing dual layer burning at some conference/show a while back. (I'm not sure if the drive was hardware modded ??? ) My quesion is: Will there be a firmware update for dual layer burning on a 106D, or am I really going to have to buy a new burner?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can draw conclusions from what's been going on with the NEC-2500A. There was a DL patched firmware released for it that worked for some people but it also either didn't work well or killed other people's drives.

NEC put out a bulletin to not use the hacked firmware because it would be inconsistent depending on the specific drive. No guarantees.

With DL media is going for $6 - $10 a pop, you can decide how daring you want to be with a DL hack :)

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Nephilim,

I ordered a NEC-2510A, suppose to be the dual layer, dual format burner. The OEM's are selling for the same price as the 2500's... so figure might as well git one. Don't think I'll make too many dl disc cause of the price, but still worth seeing :)

4. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yeah, actually that DL media is still too rich for my blood... It's just that media prices always drop over time. For now I'll stick with SL, thanks.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll be waiting until Plextor decides to roll out a DL burner :)

6. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

heard the plextor is out in august waiting for 1 myself

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The DL burners are very cheap - makes you wonder if there is mechanical change or just a firmware change..........anyone got any ideas, I know where I'll put my money on..........

8. Noel

Noel Guest

It is true that Pioneer did their DL burning with a 106 and just a firmware change. At least that's what the news reports said.

So when it came time for me to buy a burner, I thought yep, get a 106 at least it has been proven that it works as DL. Plus they make good burners anyway and the price was the same as the competition.

9. mkc1971

mkc1971 Guest

yes its true pioneer did it but i cannot find the firmware update but if you find it let me know

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The current estimated price for DL +R media is $14.95 ea. Estimated ship date is in one to three weeks. When americal.com first listed this Verbatim DL media the estimated price was 5 for $29.00. It has gone up since then to the current estimated price. supermediastore.com lists the media but no estimated price. Sonystyle has the Verbatim listed as an accessory for the DRU 700A burner and had the price listed at $14.95. They no longer have a price listed.

http://www.americal.com/pd/VER94912.html

http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-94912-8-5gb-double-layer-dvd-plus-r-dl.html

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...iKCVu33AZiCf63IN7uZn0P2UZVA=?ProductSKU=94912

It is not worth making movie back-ups at this price. A coaster at this price is not just an inconvenience. What would you do if you made a coaster with one, just try it again?
    If this media gets below $6.00, I will try it as a test, and if it gets below $3.00, I might use it for long movies.
    I'm sure not going to experiment with it like I have with SL media.

My Sony DRU 700A is pulled out and the Pioneer A-07 is reinstalled. I did find the Sony to be a nice S/L burner. It is just going to have to wait though.

When I do try it eventually it will be with a burner specifically made for the purpose. Hacked firmware may be available eventually, but I would not risk it at these prices.
    At this point if you can afford to burn DL then you can afford a quality DL burner thats not going to make a bunch of coasters while you sort it out.

Cheers,
    Frank

11. Noel

Noel Guest

Yep, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter will be out there for a long time yet. If a movie is so long or such high quality image or the extras so many that you really need DL then it is cheaper to put it on two SL discs using DVD Shrink reauthor. Alternatively, if you want menues, compress some parts to still pictures with no sound. They get very small and leave a lot of room for other parts.

Reply to mkc1971. As far as I can find, the DL firmware for the 106 was created by Pioneer themselves and is not yet available anywhere else. Still, as noted above with cheaper alternatives at the moment, why be rushing into DL?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Noel[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  12. mkc1971

mkc1971 Guest

i want the dl firmware so i can backup games larger than 4.7 gig

13. sideshow

sideshow Regular member

I also want to make backups of some PS2 games without having to rip anything out of them. I have a Pioneer A05 burner, and am curious if anyone has heard of a firmware upgrade to handle Dual Layered Format burning on this drive?

14. mkc1971

mkc1971 Guest

not from the A05 but you could try a firmware hackers sight

15. rob120770

rob120770 Member

wow noel "Yep, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter will be out there for a long time yet"
    thats some mighty OLD software your using there !

16. Noel

Noel Guest

For rob120770
    DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Simple, fairly quick, pretty good results and free. That suits me fine. Do you have a better alternative that I should try?

For everyone else. I asked Lightning UK a few weeks ago (through the DVD Decrypter forum) if DL was supported by DVD Decrypter. The answer was yes but untested. Probably because no media or burner available at the time.

17. rob120770

rob120770 Member

firstly everythings free if you know how,

get clonedvd 2 it has a far better encoder and its quicker and easier and it even takes out the layer braek ! use it in conjuction with anydvd which runs unseen in the background stripping out css protection etc

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004