1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer burning...why not do that instead????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nanu-nanu, Aug 29, 2004.

1. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

although this particular forum is for newbies and being one I have a newbie question.

Other than the price of Dual Layer blank meida, why not use Dual layer disc, so that i can just burn the whole DVD with out having to do any kind of editing and such?

I am about to build a PC specifically for DVD burner and a few other things. So I will only be pruchasing a cd/dvd rom and dvd burner, but am considering getting a NEC dual layer burner becase they are low priced.

P.S. I searched the forums and did not find anything in regard to Daul layer. Though the other day someone did post that they were using daul layer.
    Once again sorry to ask this in the Newbie forum.

2. john179

john179 Active member

Most dvd film are encrypted so you have to decrypt before you can burn.Basiclly that means they are protected so you need to take the protection off them.
    I would still buy a duel layer dvd writer as it may come in handy in the future when you are up and running.As you said they are so cheap now and you will be able to store more on one disc when the media price is right.
    Thanks
    John179

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there nanu-nanu (Or should I say Mork and Mindy)

The answer to your question is Yes -

There is no reason EXCEPT cost.

I believe that when you are working with something "Special" i.e. MASH Collection Then saving all the "special" extras goes with the DVD episodes.

If it was a regular DVD with trailers of "Coming Attractions", I don't think it worth the extra cost to back it up on a DL disc. You'd probably just want to backup the movie by itself on a single DVD. It's a matter of cost is all, just the cost. As my good friend John said, go for the NEC. The prices are fine and when the media cost comes down, well, you'll be sitting pretty :)

Cheers,

Pete

(Howdy there John, just adding to it is all (Lol)

4. john179

john179 Active member

No problem mate always good to get the exstra info from the experts.I think nanu-nanu just wants to straight copy everthing which is not always possible.I have tried myself with the films under 4gb.Some worked ok but most needed encrypting.

Thanks
    John179

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

For most the biggest reason is the cost of DL media ... approx. $15/piece, you might as well buy the originals :)

Another reason is compatibility. It's too early to know if most standalones are compatible with DL media.

6. john179

john179 Active member

Pete check your pm's

Thanks

John179