1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer burning

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hatcat01, Jan 9, 2005.

1. hatcat01

hatcat01 Member

I'm totally new to all this, so this may be a newbie question - feel free to point me in the right direction with a smug/avuncular/jaded disposition if so, but I can't find any references in the guides.

I got myself a dual layer burner for Christmas - LaCie d2, actually an NEC model. If I rip a disc to an .iso, how are the layer change points going to be handled? Does the .iso contain layer information, and so start burning to the second layer as appropriate? Dual layer discs appear to be 8.4Gb in size, rather less than DVD9 discs would appear to be - does that mean that each layer is going to be smaller than on commercial discs, or is the second layer much smaller than the first? Would smaller layers mean a coaster rather than a backed up film, or a film with a "slight pause" in it? I fear that I am going to need to rip and re-author - I am disinclined to experiment too much as discs are expensive and I haven't come across any rewritable dual layer media, so if anyone has any experience in this matter and would care to share, that would be lovely. If not, I'll take the hit, see what happens and write a guide. If anyone can recommend appropriate rip and re-author software (free is nice, obviously) that would also be most helpful.

Best wishes...

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What a way to introduce your self. I did not realise that we were smug/avuncular or of jaded disposition. I suggest that when you post a thread you treat us with a tad more respect. Otherwise people who could help, WILL choose not to.
    We do this in our own time, personally I enjoy helping people. I do not like to be patronised or talked to in a condescending manner. I would suggest that you use your eloquent command of the English language in a more constructive way.

Having said all of that I am willing to suggest a few things.

Dvd shrink will automatically detect that you have a DL disc, as long as you select no compression.
    If you use decryptor it will burn for you. Most here use nero & shrink to great effect. I have never used dvd decryptor, but it is highly rated & best of all free, as is shrink. You will find both of them available on the software part of our forum.
    Nero also supports DL media, so you would not need shrink.
    Most here are also "disinclined" to buy DL media, due to it's cost.
    As to pauses in the film, you would probably not notice them. The layers are of the same size. They are just 2 layers put on top of each other.

I very rarely keep all the menus & just back up the movie only. You are hard pressed to see the effects of compression.

I hope I did not come across as smug/avuncular or in a jaded manner.

I think that you may have learned more than one or two things from my post. I sincerely hope so! ;)

Kind & smug regards, (LOL)

pulsar

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  3. hatcat01

hatcat01 Member

Gosh, thanks very much, that seems to cover everything. I was in no way attempting or intending to be patronising or condescending, so my heartfelt and embarrassed apologies come with this reply for adopting an apparently obnoxious tone. I was merely being self-deprecatory, although obviously with limited success.

Kind regards...

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No worries mate! You have to be careful, as self deprocation does not come across too well over the internet!
    I forgot, are you copying copyrighted movies? If so you will probably benefit from AnyDvd from Slysoft, Here is the link for you;

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Having said that, shrink will overcome certain encryption, & decryptor does much the same. AnyDvd is a top piece of software, there are many here who love it. I include myself in that!
    here is a link to another app that is free, does a similar job as AnyDvd,

http://www.dvd43.com/

Kind regards,

Pulsar.

PS this is the best site that you will come across. Some of the guys here are truly amazing!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. hatcat01

hatcat01 Member

The forum guide to posting IS somewhat curt and a little intimidating, by the way.

6. hatcat01

hatcat01 Member

Maybe I should use smilies.

Oh God, I'll shut up now. It's like that scene from Swingers where whatisface leavs a bajillion messages on an answerphone.

7. hatcat01

hatcat01 Member

No, not the guide to posting, the very basics of DVD-R recording.

I'm going to bed now. Maybe I should just stop opening my mouth until I'm actually awake.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

That is because there are so many people who ask the same questions without doing any research or using the search engine, or even just trawling the threads to find out for themselves.
    We appreciate it when newbies take part in a bit of self help. There are many here who do not like to spoon feed people.
    We like it when you try it for yourself first, then if you encounter a prob, trawl the threads, failing that then leave a thread!
    Like I said, we do this in our free time & get fed up of answering the same questions time & time again.
    Hope this covers everything!

Kind regards, (no smugness either!!) LOL

Pulsar

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No worries, again!
    Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!!!
    pulsar

10. Legone

Legone Guest

I have been following this thread attentively. The forum search engine does not turn up "alot" of threads covering "dual layer disk" burning. Specifically, burning dual layer (protected) to dual layer in uncompressed form.

Currently I have Nero v6.? and DVDxCopy Platinum v4.0.3.8. Neither of these support dual layer to dual layer of copy protected content. I have the NEC ND-3500A burner using Ritek DVDs.

I enjoy HD video content and don't want additional compression schemes in copies (are visible).

Any suggestions? MB

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If using dual layer blanks to do your backups, all you need is DVD Decrypter(free download). The newest version also is updated to get through the new dvd encryption being used. Good luck, hope this helps.

Jerry

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Forgot to mention that this forum has its own search feature but had to be disabled not too long ago. At present time it links to Google until they do some updates to the forum equipment.

Jerry

13. Legone

Legone Guest

Thanks Jerry746,

The information regarding the forum search engines is great (suspected that). I have been toying with a decrypter but, couldn't settle on one. Thanks again.
    MB

14. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

For what it is worth, I have an OEM LG dual layer burner and after 6 months I tried it out(the dl part).
    I picked up Verbatim media cheap ($7). lol
    Anyway, I used DVD Decrypter and it worked great.
    I may use it sometimes for any extremely long movies, but not on a regular basis. The price defeats the propose of backing up DVDs.

P.S. Pay no attention to pulsar as he rates himself as the #1 smartass of AD and that takes a lot of doing.;o}.lol

Jaded regards, yar

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

rroettger, Quote;

"P.S. Pay no attention to pulsar as he rates himself as the #1 smartass of AD and that takes a lot of doing.;o}.lol"

Oh dear, straight for the jugular!

I think that was a back handed compliment!

I think!

My shoulders are broad enough!!
    Have you been following my threads?

Kind (smartass) regards LOL

Pulsar ;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you visited my website? Here is the link,

www.arrogantGIT.co.uk

Not had many visitors! Must be too arrogant for my own good!

17. lauzzie

lauzzie Guest

I am going to take a risk here and get involved in this banter. I just have a very quick question. How do I know if I have a dual layered burner. I had it put in about 5 months ago. It is a Pioneer DVR-108. I have read all the specifications that came with it and under the features it mentions several time the expression 'Double Layered' with regard to write speed and read speed, but cant see anything about it being dual layered. Is there a way for me to test it!! Thanks in advance.

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

there is a little app called dvdinfopro, it gives you info about your drive & media. You have a DL burner I can assure you! I have 2 108s & I can tell you that they are DL!
    Pulsar

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Don't worry too much with banter, it's all in good humour!! LOL