1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer CD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by bang, Dec 5, 2002.

1. bang

bang Member

I read somewhere about TDK releasing a multi-layer cd writer. I haven't seen anything concerning it since(plus message search is too slow). Does anybody now anything about this? Though I agree DVD will take over, but CDs are so cheap (39 cents in Australia = 20c US). Anybody? Anybody...

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Guest

Likewise, I read something similar about six to eight months ago, it was either dual layer or dual/double density CDs. At that time I looked into it further and it turned out you needed a special CD burner specifically made for the disks, they were not compatible with any DVD players and they would only play on CD readers/writers specifically made to handle these disks. Before I found out all this info I actually bought a few of the CDs, they would not work on my systems. The model number of these Sony double density CD-R disks is CDQ-13G1. They are by no means regular CDs.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

And if I remember correctly, a Sanyo DVD writer should be able to write double density on a regular CD-R, but then again the discs are unplayable in other drives.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  4. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we're going to hear too much more about the double-density format by Sanyo. It is (was) a *wonderful* idea (can you imagine? - a *full* vcd movie on one 25c blank?), but it was (is) a case of "too little too late".

If Sanyo had come up with this idea in time, I doubt that our present-day cdr burners would even exist.

Ditto dual-layer cds. Too little too late. Regular cdrs are too firmly entrenched.

-- Mike --

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

High capacity CD-Rs certainly aren't going to make it as a standard. The industry is now pushing the DVD-R standard, which still is an immature market where manufacturers can charge premium prices.

But Sanyo's double density is a nice gimmick. Quite likely very cheap to add to the drive and gives some added value for the customer. Possibly an attempt by Sanyo to regain some of it's market share in the DVD sector, which it has lost in the CD-R market. Non-standard high desnsity CD-R could be useful for example in short perioid backups, but naturally not suitable for archiving as the discs are non-standard.

6. A_Klingon

>>> [DVD-R] standard which still is an immature market where manufacturers can charge premium prices. <<<

Holy s---, tell me about it - it's *criminal*. Last week - bought a single HP (Hewlett-Packard) +RW disc (for UDF packet-writing use <gg>) - it cost Canadian $15.00 !!!!! Had little choice - was pressed for time. Only +RWs in the store.

We're getting fleeced! I hope blue-laser gets here soon. (Then we can start all over again) :)

-- Mike --

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Well thats like...mega expensive.

Check out CDROM2GO: http://coldfusion.affiliateshop.com/AIDLink.cfm?AID=011011&BID=286

DVD pricing has dropped in US and in UK, but in Finland the DVD technology hasn't really penetrated. I think that there is hardly any difference in manufacturing costs of a DVD recordable vs. CD recordable - drive or media.

But it's like this in every industry. Mobile phones are a prime examples, when the 1st to market companies collect the cream in the beginning and then dump prices in the end of a product life cycle.

8. A_Klingon

Yep. I too, firmly believe there's very little (if any) difference in the organic dyes used for DVD Rs and CD Rs, or the metal alloys used for DVD RWs and CD RWs. The manufacturing tolerances might have to be a little tighter (no big deal today). When blue-laser arrives, the manufacturing tolerances will have to be tighter still. (Again, so what?) - Intel routinely etches their cpus (resistors, transistors, links) with photographic film don't they?

Thank you for the link. In a sense (luckily) I haven't got my dvd-backing-up routines perfected, and by the time I do, dvd recordables will probably cost .02c each. :)

-- Mike --

9. bang

bang Member

Thanks for the response. Well if what you say is the true state of multi-layer cd burners, then I suppose they won't even be released in Australia. But DVD-burner are not in a much better position. Cheapest is $700, has no compatibility between DVD-R and DVD+R and still dual layer DVD-R sound to be impossible to make.