1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer - disc question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TPA_kid, Sep 23, 2004.

1. TPA_kid

TPA_kid Guest

Hey all, I am new to the forum, actually found it yesterday. This is a great board. Very informative too bad i didn't find it last week.

I just bought my first burner it's a (single layer) Pioneer DVR-S606. My question is as far as dual layer burning goes, does it have to be a Dual layer disc? as in labeled DVD+R DL to burn both layers? The reason i ask is that im big on quality. The dvd will played on a new CRT HD TV. I've read about shrinking the size of the file for single layer. (4300) to not burn the disc edge.

So my question is should I return it for a dual layer or is the quality of a single layer (shrunk)dvd-r just as good or not that far off of a dual layer burnt disc? Thanks for the help in advance.

PS: I hope to learn alot here. I've already learned quite a lot in the past 2 days. Thank You
    TPA_kid

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi TPA kid, Yes you need a dual layer burner and dual layer blank disc to copy a dvd without compression. Burners are not priced too bad, but blanks are about $10. to $15. each. Might as well go buy a second copy of the movie. I would return that single burner and get the dual layer burner anyway. Blanks will come down in price some day.

Jerry

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also video quality on a compressed movie is usually very good if you don't compress it too far. I try to keep from compressing more than 40% max.

Jerry

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy TPA_kid, Welcome to AD,

AFA the dual layered burner goes, it is backwards compatable meaning they can burn single layered disc also.

In order to burn a DVD in the dual-layered mode you need to have a dual-layered disc. The present day costs of a dual-layered discs are in the $10.00 to $12.00 (USD) each. Rather costly when you screw up and make a coaster.

For that reason many aren't using them now. A few more weeks (and a few $$ less) and I'll be using them.

The single layered discs are fine as many pple are backing up just the movie and the quality then is quite good :)

As to your last question, if it were me, I'd buy the dual-layered burner.

again, glad to have you aboard at AD -

Cheers,

Pete