1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer (DL) Recordable DVD's...just a fad?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by limelight, Apr 19, 2005.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

What do you think of the DL DVD's that are out now? Seems like most people are just fine compressing a Dual layer movie to a single layer disc. And with all the talk about blue ray and hd-dvd, is it too little to late?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Mee tink sow. :) It's pretty much for making exact copies of movies. Why would I not just put data backups on 2 s/l DVDs when I can get 10 of them for the price of one d/l DVD? And you can buy commercial movies for just a few bucks more and get the nice labels and box. Also, the early d/l DVD blanks were not very good and the speeds are still slow - 2.4X? Until they can be had for 40 cents a piece, only perfectionists will care to spend the $$$ for them. And by then, HD-DVD and Blu-ray will be out.

3. limelight

limelight Regular member

Exactly. Seems like theyre tying to run the business the same way CD-R's first started. Remember CD-R's that said "Digital Audio" on them to indicate that those would only work on stand alone cd recorders? i do. The price was marked up at least 2X from CD-r's that were only "compatabile" on PC recorders, because the RIAA had a fit about people making copies of music.