1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer dvd burning software required

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swyoung, Sep 4, 2004.

1. swyoung

swyoung Member

Hi there. I have purchased an oem daul leyer dvd + writer and some blank dvd+ discs. Can anyone tell me what software to purchase to enable me to write on them. I am at present using Nero 6 but cannot find anyway of writing to dual layer discs. Your help will be much appreciated. Regards Steve

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*thread moved*

3. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Swyoung,

There are no 'special steps' required to write to DL media using the Nero 6 software. As long as your recorder supports DL media, and you have DL media in the Recoder at the time, then NeroVision Express 2/Nero Burning ROM/ and Nero Express programs will automatically detect the media, and display the avaiable capacity. If you are using our Nero Recode Software, in the bottom right of the window you will be able to select from DVD5,DL media, 80min,74min etc using a drop down box, depending on the write operation you are attempting.

Here are some facts about how our software handles DL writes:

FAQ’s on Double Layer Format

Question: I heard that when you create a Double Layer disc, you must write the full session to both Layer 1 and Layer 2 of the double layer disc, is this true?

In those cases where a DL disc is written with Nero in No-Multisession mode, that means the disc needs to be finalized, the compilation is divided into two equal parts and written one part on L0 and the other on L1. Before writing starts the so called layer break is set by Nero where the middle zone starts which marks the max L0 address for the user data. This could be somewhere on L0 but must not be at the max position of L0. In this case the DL disc doesn't need to be recorded completely, but both layers have an equal size.

Only in cases where the layer break is NOT set before writing will the drive then set the layer break to the max position of L0 and jumps to L1 not until the max L0 address is written. In this case the entire disc has to be written in case the DL disc needs to be finalized. This mode is used by Nero only in case of Multisession recording.

Question: What is Nero’s LayerMaigic?

Nero’s LayerMagic™ effectively decreases the amount of time required to master a DL DVD by automatically distributing video content equally between the two layers in order to simplify the final layout in the recording process. If the “padding” recording process is used in which filler content, not actual video data, is recorded to even out the data on both layers, there is high risk of creating incompatible discs. Nero Layer Magic™ however avoids padding by distributing the content between the two layers in equal parts, ensuring that the second layer is already in a compatible state at the end of the recording process which greatly reduces recording time.

Question: What is Nero’s SmoothPlay?

Nero SmoothPlay™ automatically modifies video content written to the end of the DVD so that delays in playback are reduced to an absolute minimum. The process of switching from one layer to another takes a considerable amount of time as the drive needs to refocus its laser to the second layer as well as perform any seeking operation necessary to find the beginning of the data on layer two. Due to that, many badly mastered DVD-Video media will cause the player to interrupt playback at or shortly before switching layers. Nero SmoothPlay™ avoids these problems by coding detailed instructions into the DVD’s navigation data, making most DVD-Players perform the caching and playback optimization necessary to prevent playback distortion. When applying the unique Nero SmoothPlay™ algorithm, the optimum layer break location for both new and pre-mastered DVD-Video content will be detected by analyzing video signal and navigation structures, ensuring maximum compatibility with standalone DVD players as well as the smallest possible delay in switching from one layer to another when playing back mastered video content

For more assistance, I would need to know what exactly you are trying to do, what program you are using, and what messages you are running into.

Regards,

Craig