1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer DVD media - General Pricing Survey

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by nyns26, Dec 21, 2004.

1. nyns26

nyns26 Guest

Do you guys think whether dual layer blank DVD prices will ever come down and if so when? It seems like when the new HD_DVD or Blu ray formats come out, dual layer dvd's wont be needed any more hence no need for the prices to tumble.

2. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I agree. I'm interested in upgrading to a Dual layer DVD writer but am skeptical because of the high price of the discs, which probably won't come down even after next years HD DVD release. Since regular DVD-R can be bought for dirt cheap I don't see how I can justify buying the Dual Layer burner. Does anybody know of any suppliers of dual layer blank discs at a reasonable price. That $25 a disc is definitely not worth it.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Vjbob,If you are in the U.S.A. Walmart has verbatim dual layer discs about $28-$30.00 for a 3 pack. Still steep. Ebay isn't much better by the time you add s&h + insurance.

4. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

Prices have dropped already by a few bucks since they were introduced. I think they were around $12.99 at first and now down to $6.99. Also the prices of the 2.4x will drop once the 4x dvd+dl discs come out. I will start buying in mass once they get down to the 3 bucks each range since I think it will be well worth backing up full dvd to full blank instead of just movie backups or full with poor quailty.