1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual layer dvd+r movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Javakiko, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

anyone had any joy using DL dvd+r media to backup movies? I haven't tried myself yet as the discs are too pricey to create coasters, is there any reliable methods yet that will create discs that will play in standalone dvd players?

2. HHaVoCC

HHaVoCC Member

I haven't seen too much chatter about dual layer.

3. steeljay

steeljay Member

I just bought my dual layer DVD burner. Didn't get it in the mail yet, but I'm going to give it a try. I'll still be able to burn my old 4.7GB DVD's, so there isn't much to lose.

At $9.99-$11.99 a disc, it really isn't saving you much to burn movies when you could just buy yourself a backup copy of the movie in the store for the same price or cheaper.

Once they begin making spindles of DVD+R DL's....then the fun will begin. At an affordable price, that is. If you are willing to deal with changing discs, you can burn the same quality movie onto 2 DVD+R's for about $1.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i've got an LG 12 x D/L burner but finding the programs that are compatible are the issue.Shrink/clone and something Roxio is putting out is all i can find but of shrink and clone only getting coasters currently

5. HHaVoCC

HHaVoCC Member

Thanks for the input guys, I figured it would be some time before the bumps are smoothed out of DL.

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

dvd decrypter is set up to rip/burn DL movies now, and i think it always has been. Its just been implemented a little better recently

7. HHaVoCC

HHaVoCC Member

Has anyone tried DL with Decrypter?

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Nero 6, DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD2 and Copy To DVD all supprot DL burning.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

DVD Lab Pro is up to beta 16 and is almost ready for launch. Finally. Pro has a feature that lets you position the layer break. Similar to the way you would set a chapter point. I don't think other programs give you any options to position the layer break. Fill me in if I'm wrong on this. I think Nero just has an abatrary split point in about the middle of the set of .vobs. If you had 6 GB file size you would get a layer break at 3 GB. At least that is what I'm hearing. I'm too cheap to check for myself. I agree with steeljay about the prices. Just buy the original instead.