1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dlanky, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Dlanky

Dlanky Guest

I have just used my first dual layer DVD. ( I bought it as a treat for my wife so I can copy Star Wars and all the bits onto one disc. I have played it sucessfully on a cheapo Hikona machine but it will not work on my Samsung DVD CM350. Is this a machine or disc or a recorder problem.

Thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

More than likely it is the DVD stand alone player that is the problem. A lot of people are having problems playing Dual Layer disks on there DVD players. It's kind of like way back when (couple years) players would have problems with the +R format.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  3. CDubbs

CDubbs Member

Dlanky - I too am having a similar issue. I ripped Star Wars Episode IV, V and VI using the newest DVD Decrypter without any issues, burned them to Dual Layer DVD's and they won't play properly on my Denon DVD player. It just freezes up on the screen where it says "This motion picture has been rated PG blah blah....". I can play them just fine on my Panasonic PC DVD Player/Burner though. I don't think it's the DVD's because I've burned a few other (Pink Floyd - The Wall, Troy) and they play fine on my Denon.
    I'm wondering if DVD Decrypter removed something from the originals (like a protection of sorts) and it's confusing the Denon player.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If your burner supports bitsetting, you can change the booktype of your +R media to DVD-Rom. This may make it possible for your dvd player to recognize and play it.

5. CDubbs

CDubbs Member

Thanks for the response.

I left DVD Decrypter as is with all it's ripping defaults so it creates the Video folder with the VOB files in it. I just ran a test. If I rip Star Wars (IV, V or VI) the same exact way with DVD Decrypter and then open those extracted files with DVD Shrink and create an ISO file from that and then burn it, it seems to work just fine in my DVD player. What's up with that? I've burned plenty of just straight VIDEO folders to DVD in the past without issues. Is there a setting in DVD Decrypter to rip as an ISO?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes just select <Mode> <ISO Read R>

7. CDubbs

CDubbs Member

Thanks bbmayo!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problemo! :)

9. bmurr327

bmurr327 Guest

bbmayo, you seem to be very knowledgable about booktypes. I have an Emprex(BTC) Dual Layer drive and I am having trouble changing the booktype. I am trying to make a backup of a DL ps2 game using decrypter. Decrypter doesn't list my drive in the booktype tabs, but I downloaded a bitsetting tool from BTC. The instructions say to open the tool, change from DL to dvd-rom - then leave the tool open during the burning process. The problem is, when the tool is open, decrypter won't see my burner. If I open decrypter first, the tool won't see my burner. Any suggestions?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try using Nero or another program to burn with. Right now Decrypter will only support the DVD ROM's listed in there tabs.

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Hey bmurr327, go to drvupdate.com and you'll be set for firmware and bitsetting. This is a must for your burner and for anyone with an emprex.