1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer DVD's, should i plan on using them in the near future?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jetyi83, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

whats the word on the dual layer dvd's. I would like to be able touse them but right now they are way too expensive. Ive heard people say the price will come down eventually, but also that new media will come out before that even happens so buying a dual layer drive is pretty much pointless.

you think they will ever be worth it? and worth it to me means about twice the cost of a dvd-r.

the only reason im curious is cause im thinking about buying a new dvd drive, but the one i want has no dual layer capability. But, its way better than any drive out there so far which do have dual layer drives.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It really boils down to your specific needs whether a DL burner is worth it.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with getting one even though you may not use the DL capability until the media prices drop but then again it's no big handicap having a SL burner at this point in time.

For me the only time DL capability would be handy is backing up TV show series that are typically DVD-9 with little to no extras to remove. But that's a very small amount of the backing up that I do and the results I get using DVD Shrink are fine with me.

I see no reason to chuck your perfectly good Plextor PX-708A - I love mine ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  3. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi,
    Can anyone help me by showing me whether my dvd burner is dual layer or not. My dvd burner is TEAC DV W58GA and My TEAC dvd burner is TEAC DV58WGA and my iomege dvd burner is IOMEGA DVDRW12448IND-B.
    Can anyone help to check whether my dvd burner is a dual layer burner.
    Really appreciate if anyone can tell me and show me the way on how to check the burner.
    Millions Thanks.

4. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest