1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual layer firmware updates, what have you heard?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by glazenuts, Jan 19, 2004.

1. glazenuts

glazenuts Member

Hello Everyone!!!,

I heard the other day that a firmware update is all that is need to make a lot of burners dual layer ready. What have you heard, and do you think if the oem's don't make the firmware available that the community will?

Thanx to those that reply,

Jeff in LA

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This actually belongs in the "DVD-R Drives" forum.

In answer to your question, Pioneer has demonstrated an standard A06 that could burn dual-layer with a firmware upgrade but it remains to be seen if they will offer it as an upgrade to existing owners (doubtful). It's possible someone will come up with a hacked firmware to do this.

3. EVOODOO

EVOODOO Member

Any chance that this will work will dvd-bruners like LG 4040B which write dvd-r and dvd+r???

i would be happy if one could write dual layer

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

I read on freaks the other night where they spoke with the people from pioneer and phillips in an article and they said that most likely a stronger laser would be needed for dual layer disc writing. They also project the cost for the dual layered media to be twice the single layered price. Good news always comes in pairs right? Anywho dont shoot the messenger. I'll see if I can find a link (yeah right you surfed for about 5hrs that night)