1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer - Is it worth the extra and how many brands are reliable out there?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bada55, Apr 21, 2007.

1. bada55

bada55 Member

Hi
    I have always used either Sony, Maxell,Phillips,Imation,TDK or EPerformance DVD-R's with no complaints apart from the odd player not always liking the disc and sometimes Nero wouldn't want to burn at the recommended speeds, although I rarely burn at faster than 4x anyways as it is fast enough for me.
    Now I am interested in buying some DL discs and do not want to spend anything without a reco or two from peeps that are happy with them already. I am prepared to pay a bit extra for DL because they are a great space saver for copying a TV series for example. But I want a reliable brand and do not want to pay above 50p a disc if I can avoid it. Just wont be worth it otherwise!
    Thanks for reading this. Hope you can help :)

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Verbatim DVD+R DL are the best you can get,a bit more expensive than other brands but well worth for the price.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name and model# of your dvd-rw drive?

When it comes to DL media,verbatim is the best! Some drives,other brands like ridata are hit or miss.

Also watch what programs you are using for DL backups. I like ripping with dvd decrypter and burning with ImgBurn-it's free!!. Now Imgburn has a ripping feature,so I can't wait to try a DL backup using ImgBurn only!!

Dvd +R DL is a totally different format,and some players will have a harder time reading them. Best bet is to booktype those DL backups to Dvd-rom. Only certain drives have this ability,so post back your burner model.

4. bada55

bada55 Member

well I have a few burners...various sony models including a DRU-700A and a liteon. I have always used Nero for burning and the dvdfab for decrypting coz dvddecrypt will not decrypt all the latest discs

5. JVC

JVC Active member

6. bada55

bada55 Member

I have no idea what booktyping is all about? Do I need to dload that file to enable me to burn in DL mode?

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'd use that litey to do the Dl's.

You don't have to booktype them. It's just another option in case any of your drives don't recognize your DL backups. Booktyping helps because it gives a higher compatability rate.

If you get any of the following messages after inserting a backup into a drive:

No Disc
    Dirty Disc
    Wrong region
    Wrong format
    Illegal disc

Then it's usually a format issue. Booktyping the plus format should fix that little issue.

8. JVC

JVC Active member