1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual layer? or stick with what i have

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jayman197, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jayman197

jayman197 Member

Hi all..this is my first post on this forum although i have been reading some on here for a few months now. I would like some suggestions. I do alot of dvd burning and currently use "dvd decrypter" and "dvd2one" as well as nero. I have been thinking about purchasing a DL burner in hopes of creating better quality copies than the compressed ones i am making now. Is this route going to get me better image quality?? How dificult is the procedure for burning DL copies? I don't really want to go and buy another burner if i wont be getting any better quality copies. I play these on a $2500 dvd player so i am looking to get the most out of a copied dvd.
    So...can someone tell me if I should just stick with what i'm using now or buy a DL burner.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Hi jayman197 and welcome to AD.

DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in several years and will not be seeing any future development. I would suggest making the swicth to DVDFab HD Decrypter for free ( http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm ). It will allow you rip the movie only or the full disc when making your backups, you can also remove the audio tracks that aren't needed as well as any unneeded subtitles. I use DVD2One as well and haven't experienced any quality reduction in my backups, but I typically only backup the movie only. Are you backing up the full disc or just the main title? The more room you can free up will make a big difference in your final outcome. As for the $2500 DVD player, you'd probably get just as good if not better playback with a $30 Wally World special. I wouldn't recommend DL backups simply because what they cost as compared to a SL blank isn't worth it to me when I can typically easily fit what I want on the disc with little or no compression.

3. jayman197

jayman197 Member

Hi...thanx for the reply...i too burn "movie only" backups. I had read that there is little or no loss doing it that way. But one has to wonder if that's true...compression is compression and with compression comes loss...even if only subtle. As for the referece to the "$30 wally world special", it's tough to figure what $2500 gets you in a dvd player until you see it. That's why i'm wanting the maximum quality recording i can get. The extra cost of the DL blanks is not an issue for me.( obviously i don't mind paying for quality). I have tried dvd fab...i had no trouble ripping the "movie only". I did however have issues when i tried to use dvd2one to compress. For some reason...it didn't like the files that were ripped by dvd fab...no problem with dvd decryter files though...strange. Anyhow...i guess if there is no difference then i'll just stick to what i've got.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

DVD Shrink is probably the most common and most popular free compression tool out there right now. You might want to give it a shot in lieu of DVD2One as they basically do the same thing....a couple of the newer movies have been choking in DVD Shrink when ripped with DVDFab though and there was an update released today which may have fixed that problem. There is also Nero Recode which is authored by the same fella that gave us DVD Shrink and is excellent in it's own rights, but I still prefer DVD2One for it's speed. Are you using current versions of all your software? Is your firmware up to date for your burner? If you have an older burner that doesn't support DL burning a new one will only set you back $30-$40 dollars and there are many brands to choose from....Lite-On, Samsung, LG & Pioneer are a few.

EDIT: I forgot to mention DVD-Rebuilder. If you are looking for the absolute best quality this program is unmatched, especially when dealing with high levels of compression, but you pay for the quality in time as it builds your video structure from the ground up from the files that you provide for it. It typically takes 2-3 hours to process the files though, depending on your system specs. This would of course be a waste of time if dealing with low compression levels that a transcoder like DVD Shrink, Recode, DVD2One can do in 15-20 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007