1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer to Dual Layer with Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by garydahl, Oct 23, 2004.

1. garydahl

garydahl Member

I've done many successful single-layer backups with DVD Decrypter. It is a great, free program, and for single layer backups I highly recommend it.

But when I tried my first double-layer to double-layer backup, I was disappointed to find that I'd made a $14.00 coaster. I believe I've followed the DVD Decrypter Guide (on the DVD Decrypter Forum) to the letter. But when I tried to play the backup in my DVD player, it was not recognized saying, "no disc". This same disc played the movie fine when inserted in my computer's DVD player.

Heres What I used:
    Verbatim DVD+R DL media
    Sony DVD RW DRU-700A double-layer burner
    DVD Decrypter Vers 3.5.1.0

I used the ISO Read then ISO Write (selecting the MDS file) method described on the DVD Decrypter forum.

I think that this whole double layer thing is just not ready for prime time.

2. dp70

dp70 Member

You are absolutely correct. I returned free samples sent me for eval. I could not lend myself to being a part of using a $ 9.95 each ( my price for singles).

The + alliance is going balls to the walls with speed -compatibility be damned! The + guys have reduced themselves to low clas and low price street walkers by using angular velocity and leaner velocity to increase figures...remember to always challenge the paremeters usedin reaching a conclusion.

Decrypter ( best app known to mankind ) starts off declaring a 4x write, then after 25% burn the speed increases to 6.5 x--when we reach the half-disk point, the speed in finally reported as 8 X-- the average write is 6.5x.

Nero6+ will support DL as well as Shrink 3.2/.3.

To quote Brando: The horror !!!

DP70 / john

3. garydahl

garydahl Member

Yes- I'm staying with single-layer backups for the next 8-12 months and then might revisit this whole mess. Speed is worthless unless you can play the resulting disc.

The thing that bugs me a little is that Decrypter author Lightning (http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=11583) presents 1:1 DL backups as a done deal, when they really aren't. Not if you can't play them in a newer DVD player.

I have one blank Verbatim DL disc left and not sure with what combination of Decrypter/Shrink/Nero to best turn it into a coaster...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  4. garydahl

garydahl Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  5. LIGHT_UK

LIGHT_UK Member

You have to understand that the 'copy' process IS a 'done deal' as you call it.

I cannot be blamed because your standalone doesnt support DVD+R DL media.

Booktype settings may indeed make the discs more compatible - in which case of course it's better to set it to DVD-ROM because ALL players are supposed to support DVD-ROM.

6. garydahl

garydahl Member

Sorry Ligntning,

The Sony DRU-700A supports DL media, but without a firmware update hasn't supported changing the booktype to DVD-ROM. I had thought that booktype DVD-ROM was not as compatible in players as DVD+R. But for double layer burns, I guess not. I'm learning a lot through these posts, and as I learned in the thread in the DVD Decrypter forum, this is not a problem with DVD Decrypter, but rather with the Sony DRU-700A. My frustration was that, an out-of-the-box DRU-700A could not seem to do playable DL backups. Hence, for an untechnical guy like me it was not a "done deal". Folks buying the Sony now, hopefully will have the new firmware already installed, and with that and DVD Decrypter, it will be doable.

I had never done a firmware update before, and was reluctant to try it for fear of screwing things up. I have since learned how easy it was to do a firmware update on the Sony.

The good news is that it looks like, with firmware updates, the Sony will do the DL to DL backups.

Anyone interested in doing Double Layer burns on the Sony DRU-700A may want to check this DVD Decrypter forum thread: http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=12935

As I said over there, I hope to try another DL to DL burn this weekend and report the results.

7. garydahl

garydahl Member

Also, just to be perfectly clear, I am a fan of DVD Decrypter, and wholeheartedly recommend it.