1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer trouble with dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by midnite32, May 2, 2005.

1. midnite32

midnite32 Member

I wanted to back up my Criterion Collection DVDs. I wanted to keep them on dual layer discs because I wanted to preserve the picture quality. I tried burning a DVD-5 using Recode 2. It doesn't look good especially black and white movies. Anyways, I ripped the ISO using decrypter. Then burned the mds file. At %50, it'll stop burning. It happened every time. I wasted $20. Where's the problem? Is it the drive or the media? Burning regular DVD-Rs is not a problem. It's batting 1.000 at that.

anyways, I'm going to try the DVD-RB method next. I'm sure this'll work but I'd prefer to back up a dual layer version. Thanks for your help. Bye

My specs are:
    1.3 ghz celeron
    1 gb ram
    I/O magic Dual layer 16x int. burner
    100 gb hard drive (ntfs)
    I used Verbatim dual layer discs.

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I'm not sure why you're getting error or failed to back up using DVD Decrypter, but I've used "2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL" before and it's been successfuly with backed up so far. Did you by a chance forgot to set the settings for Dvd9 in Decrypter? Did you happened to back up with more/faster speed than the capability of the DVD+R DL stated? On the other hand, I'm not quite familiar with Nero Recode, I've only use Nero Ultra to do some AVI and AUDIO cd-r backed up in the past, so hopefully someone whom with more knowledge will help you solve your misery. Perhaps, try to be more specific on the error i.e. an error log, if you have one - this will help others to help you better. Just a note that's all.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

midnite32,
    Welcome to the Forum,
    You can back up the movie to DVD-9 using DVDDecrypter
    Mode> .iso read
    Mode> .iso write

Nero has had some problems burning to DVD-9 but they are working on it to get it correct. Personally I think DVDDecrypter picks up the layer break better.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

midnight32,

I don't know what your poroblem is with Recode2 BUT if you could print out Nero's log - it should tell us quite a bit.

Also, tell us what version of Recode you're using.

As mentioned, you could use DVDD to copy to your DL, DVD-9 disc. Under "View" you can choose "Log" to find out what happened there BUT Nero's log would be better

Cheers,

Pete

5. midnite32

midnite32 Member

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I have to clarify something. My problem is burning dual layer discs with DVD Decrypter, not Nero Recode 2. I followed the guide here, ripped the DVD as an ISO file using Decrypter and then burned the ISO file using the same program. It stops burning at %50 every time. It just hangs there.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What printer do you have ?