1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual or single layer?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by twinkel, Dec 30, 2004.

1. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

what is the differance between dual and single layer?

i have just bought a emprex dvd dual 8x dvd drive, it does'nt say its dual layer so i think its just a single layer, will this drive be ok if i use it to backup ps2 games or my hard drive?

thanx in advance...

2. hursty

hursty Active member

dual layer means the dvd discs you buy are made up of 2 thin layers(0.6mm),these can handle much bigger files than your normal dvd media(4.7gb),in order to use dual layer disc's,your dvd writer needs to compatible with them,check the spec of your dvd drive.
    i wouldnt worry about it too much,its nice to have dual layer but not essential,there are not many ps2 games that cannot fit on a standard dvd-r.just buy good quality media.dvd-r.

3. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

thanks for that, i'm going to take it back, and get a dual layer drive,

i forgot to ask about double layer drive's, do they generally work with dual and double layer discs, ps2 backup on double layer compatible or not?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

i have a dual layer,but have yet to burn a dual layer ps2 game,i have heard they dont load,but dont quote me on that,at approx £3 each,they are too expensive to make a coaster!!!
    p.s,dual and double layer disc's are the same thing.

5. timbadog

timbadog Member

hursty, I keep running in to you in different threads. seems we're both on the hunt for same answer. I have a LG Super Multi dual layer burner, and have burnt The Guy Game,(remember me). ps2 won't load the game though. been trying for 2 weeks to find out step by step how to split it on 2 dvd-r disks.

ps. most games seem to be single layer

6. hursty

hursty Active member

its tough i know,i buy some of my ps2 games in,the guy i get them off knows his stuff,but is a bit reluctant to let me know how he splits his large dvd files.i will let you know if and when he tells me.
    regards hursty
    happy new year.

7. timbadog

timbadog Member

ok. I'd appreciate that. keep after him because there are a lot of us wanting to know. talk to you next year.