1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Quesion No. 1

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by andypne1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. andypne1

andypne1 Member

...but if anyone here can help I would be eternally grateful.

I have one of those little portable DVD players, mainly for use when traveling. We recently received a DVD of a pilot for a sitcom from a market research company. The instructions said ‘please do not watch this on a computer’ in big bold letters. It also said it ‘should be watched on a player connected to your TV’ but in not quite so strident a printface as the computer warning.

However, we have just taken possession of a new dvd/surround sound system thing, and being in our 40s, me and The Mrs are still waiting for our much more technically literate son to program all the new gadgetry to one, idiot proof, remote control. SO we watched the market research DVD on the small portable player, using its own screen. The DVD had some limited interactivity – it asked a few questions about number of TVs we own, that kind of thing - and according to the info the research company sent, the disk would not be able to rewind or FF or anything but pause and play.

Fine. However, subsequently the portable DVD player will not recognize any other disks (‘no valid disk’ it pleads) and disks that I know are working when they go into said player, appear to be totally blank when they come out and I attempt to play them on my PC.

Now, this could just mean the DVD player has gone to the great home-entertainment-system-in-the-sky as a result of natural causes - but the coincidence is bugging me. Could the problem with the player, and the subsequent ‘blankness’ of the DVDs ive tried to play on it, be any way related to the disk we were sent by the research company.

Thanks in advance

Andy

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

Hi andypne1 ans welcome to AD.

This sure sounds strange! May I ask you a few questions to begin with?
    I am interested to know what others think of this problem.

Ok, on to my questions:
    Firstly, please provide the make and model of the player in question.

If you take a store bought DVD and try to play it in the player, what do you get?
    When you say, that the DVD appears to be totally blank, what do you mean by that? How can this player wipe off what has already been burned and or stamped on to a DVD media??????

What was the market research company in question and have you tried to contact them? Are you allowed to give us this information so that we can get more info on their DVDs they send to people like you?

Could the little portable DVD play burned (not store bought) disks before?
    If yes, what region(s) disks could it play?
    Can it play the same disks as before?
    Could the portable DVD player play a music CD before? and can it do so now?
    How about VCD disks? could they be played before as opposed to now?

3. andypne1

andypne1 Member

HI there thanks for the reply - as it happens the market research firm have agreed to refund me the cost of replacing the damaged player and dvds, but to answer your questions

Venturer PVS 1262, IS and Canada region
    when it tries to start playing a disk it gives up and gives the message 'no valid disk'
    when placed in my PC external drive the disks fail to start my DVD playing software and the drive shows up as being empty on 'my computer'
    It is store bought DVDs, which previously worked, which now get the response detailed above. Never tried a burned DVD or music DVD, likewise VCD
    I am reluctant to post the company name as they have agreed with my terms of compensation

Thanks for your interest in this curious situ.

regard

Andy

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

Hi there,

That is cool, I dont need the name of the marketing firm especially as they are compensating you.

My question is this: what happens if you take a store bought DVD that has not been played in the portable devise, and place that in the computer? I should hope that it plays fine.

Now, if you try to play that same DVD in the portable device and it does not play, what happens if you take it out and place it in the PC again?

What I am trying to say is that no matter what, the DVD should not and as far as I know, can not be, altered at all.

Let me know how it goes?