1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb question ( but I'm tech savy, though)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by all_stah, Jan 11, 2007.

1. all_stah

all_stah Member

I'm an audio engineer, so when it comes to anything regarding music I'm pretty much on point.

However, as far as ripping dvds ( other than converting movie files to ipod), I need to know one thing :

Do you actually need a dvd drive in order to create a dvd virtual drive?

Meaning: I own a CD-R drive, but I would like to copy some of my dvds to my computer...Can't I just set-up a virtual dvd drive and my computer will read from the dvd and put the image file on there( even though I only have a cdr-drive)?

Please tell me I can do that ...lol

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

In order to get the DVD files to your computer, you need something that will be able to read the DVD. You need a DVD rom.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

LOL... anyways, dialysis1 is right. In order for you to rip any DVD files, you'll need a DVD burner or DVD rom drive. In addition, you'll need another tool like DVDFab Decrypter or RipIt4Me (both FREE) to decrypt all them nasty protections that were encrypted on the DVD, so you can rip the DVD to your desire into your hard drive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. all_stah

all_stah Member

Yeah, I figured ...i'm good from here.

peace

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

the only other way I can think of is if you can download a DVD from the internet! I don't recommend Piracy! but hypothetically..... if you can download it then maybe windows will allow you to mount the image onto a virtual drive with Dameon tools! HYPOTHETICALLY! no piracy here!