1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dummy file question not answered.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by gokou135, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gokou135

gokou135 Member

Hi i know i should be slapped maybe but i have truly searched this forum and cant find anything on this specific question.

Is there any benefit to removing dummy files other than compatability. I have seen somewhere that removing dummy files in fact makes the game run faster, but then i saw in another post saying that dummy files are there to make the game run faster. So which is it. I have swap magic 3.6 and have never had a single problem with TOC size, backing up games of 4.38GB or anything like that, I use yudens bought from super media store and have had no problems other than your slight jitter every once in a while. But I have succesfully backed-up games with dummy files and they run fine. So if someone would thankfully answer my question. Thanks so much.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

dummy files make the games run faster. They push the real data to the outside of the disc, which spins faster than the center of the disc.

3. gokou135

gokou135 Member

Hi Sly thanks for replying it was really bothering me. So i'm guessing in theory you could create your own dummy files and put them into the rebuilt game thats of low TOC......lets say like Dual Masters.....its the lowest TOC i can think of right now. I could actually make the game run smoother myself by getting a dummy file creator and using it to push the data to the outside.....or wouldnt that work? Also would you really see any kinda significant improvement.

P.S. Nice car man, especially since it has all this
    V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g05
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero

LOL j/k

4. jolimule

jolimule Member

so does that mean if a game don't have dummy file, i better to put one in ?

5. gokou135

gokou135 Member

Thats what it seems like to me but theory and reality are most always a fine line. So i will test it today and get back to ya.

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes, it is possible. I have seen posts about it, just never really paid attention to them, since i usually don't have problems with games.

7. gokou135

gokou135 Member

Yea im not usually one to have issues with my games either. I have even burnt things that people are having trouble with straight from basic decrypter>Hardrive>DVD-R such as onimusha dawn of dreams, i read alot of people are having trouble with it. I just burnt it like i do any other game lol.

8. gokou135

gokou135 Member

it must be luck then because i use swap magic 3.6 just like most others who are having the issues. It works fine for me, in fact i beat it the other day with no issues.