1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dummy VIDEO_TS.VOB needed for SONY stand alone

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by djorre, Dec 18, 2002.

1. djorre

djorre Member

Does anyone know how to create a new or dummy VIDEO_TS.VOB after you used IFOEDIT to author your new dvd? It seems SONY stand alone DVD players need that file to be able to play self made dvd's.

thanks for the help

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have a Sony standalone that plays without the VIDEO_TS.VOB file just fine. But these are on dvd movies. Are you authoring something else besides dvd movies? My dvd authoring process is pretty simple, but it's the way I like watching dvd's. I don't have any menus at all. I slip the disk in and it plays the movie. I open up ifoedit and press get new ifo's. It creates VIDEO_TS.IFO & .BUP AND VIDEO_01_0.IFO & .BUP files automatically, which I assume this is what you are trying anyway. I don't know if you have pressed get vts sectors after that. It will give you playback problems if you don't.

3. djorre

djorre Member

Well I have a SONY DVP-735 and a SONY DVP-700 and both are giving problems when I don't have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file. I know it's wierd but still. And I performed everything like Get VTS Sectors, Region Free and Remove P-UP's

4. framerman

framerman Regular member

What are you trying to author. I believe that Warner Brothers movies don't even have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file. The menu file is at the end of the movie. That is weird though. I've got 2 Sony's available to use and both of them work fine without the file. There's something we're missing. Can you explain more as to how you author, and especially what you're authoring. Home movies, dvd's, etc. The very last thing you should do before burning is get vts sectors corrected. Have you played it in ifoedit to see if it works?

5. djorre

djorre Member

first of all thanks for helping me.

I have 2 ways doing things:

1. movie smaller than 4.3GB
    I use Dvd Decrypter to get the files on my HD.
    After that I use IfoEdit to strip everything i don't need by using the 'Vob Extra option' and I will let him recreate the vobs on a different place on my HD. After that I just make it region free, Remove P-Ups and Get VTS sectors.

2. For movies > 4.3Gb
    I use DVD2DVDR to create and resize everything.
    After that I use IfoEdit to Author a new DVD. Select the audio, subs and movie and let him create the Vobs and Ifo's.
    I end by making it region free, Remove P-Ups and Get VTS sectors.

In both cases I just burn the dvd by using Stomp RecordNow Max.

Do you think I did something wrong?

6. framerman

framerman Regular member

It sounds right. What kind of error are you getting on your dvd player. I know I was having the damndest time doing it exactlyu just like you have told me. I couldn't figure it out. I tried something different. Do me a favor and try this just to see if it works. Get a dvd with less that 4.36 gb's on it just for ease of use for this problem. Save only the vob main movie files. No video_ts or ifo's or anything. Put them in a VIDEO_TS folder in c:\. Just the 4 or 5 vob files. Open up ifoedit. Down at the bottom it says create ifo's. Click this and find the first vob file in your movie. Destination ifo same as vob's. After if makes the files, open up the ifo's and press get vts sectors. Then to make sure it corrected them, close ifoedit and reopen it and open up the ifo's again and press get vts sectors again. Shouldn't be any adjusting in the boxes that appear. Now from here create an image file in imgtools. I don't know if you have this, you can get it here:http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software2.htm
    click create dvd image. dvd drive is c:\. output image file you must type in the .img extension for some reason. Your file should read something like c:\LOTR.img. Make sure it says c:\ also. Volume title is LOTR or whatever your movie is. This will make it appear on your computer dvd drive as your disc title. Click create disc image. It should take about 5-10 minutes. Next, open up dvd decrypter. Make sure your disc is formatted. Under mode, select iso/write. Select the image file you just made. Just for avoiding playback problems, click 1x speed instead of max. Sony's are a little tempermental, I know. This will take anywhere from 25-45 minutes. After, you should take your disc and be able to play it in your standalone. The movie will start right away though, no menus or subtitle info or anything. You will be able to turn on subtitles from your remote. And also scroll through your chapters. This is just to test to see if it will work. I don't know if you like your movies like this. If this works, I would say there is a step missing in the authoring. But like I said before, I did it just like you did for a month before I gave up and tried something else, just to see if it would work. The errors I was getting was cannot read disk, and dirty disc. Drove me batty. I hope this at least helps a little.

7. djorre

djorre Member

Thanks,
    I'll give it a try this weekend.
    The message that I got until now was C:13:00, dirty disk

8. framerman

framerman Regular member

That's the one!!!! I had that constantly. Driving me friggin nuts. Try this out, it should work. Let me know. At least it's a start.

9. djorre

djorre Member

I tried it, I'm having some problems.
    I'm using ImgTools ver. 0.99.5 and dvd decrypter 3.1.4.0

When I try to create the image i get the following warning 'video_ts.vob missing'. I saved it as a .img file instead of a .nrg file

After he created the image i try to write the img file we created. Then I get the following message : 'Invalid or unsupported ISO file format'

Maybe I've a different version of ImgTools. Or maybe I've done something wrong. anyway I followed your guidelines. Strange.

10. framerman

framerman Regular member

sorry, I meant to tell you to use the 0.89 version. That's the one I use. I don't touch Nero. I've had problems with it. You have the right dvd decrypter though. It's strange. I've burned at least 20 dvd movies with just these files

video_ts.ifo
    video_ts.bup
    vts_01_0.ifo
    vts_01_0.bup
    vts_01_1.vob
    vts_01_2.vob
    vts_01_3.vob
    vts_01_4.vob

that's it. no more files. works every time. The only other thing I can think of is is you have a different number for your vob files, like vts_02_1.vob etc. If this is the case, I'm thinking you have to rename your files to vts_01_1 etc. and redo the vts sectors again. I'm sorry, I'm striking out here. I can't think of anything else. I sure hope someone else can jump in and help here.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002