1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dump image of a Pandora's stick

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by luzumsuz, Nov 10, 2007.

1. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

For God's sake...

Could someone give me a raw dump image of a pandora's memory stick. I need it to unbrick my PSP slim.

I have a Pandora's battery. But, (don't ask how) I bricked my slim AND I erased the Memory Stick. So, I have no way to create a new memory stick, and no other PSP.

If you have a magic stick and have access to Linux or Mac machine you can create the magic image file by the following commands:

dd if=/dev/STICK | gzip - > image.gz

where STICK is the device pointing the memory stick (I assume you know what that means). This will create a compressed raw image of the magic stick. Then, please let me know how I can get it.

I am pulling my hair at the moment. So, please!!!!

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

a dump of the magic memory stick will do you no good. it MUST BE installed onto the memory stick, not copy and paste.

3. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

Can you elaborate? Why not? A memory stick created by others can work, right? A bit-by-bit copy of the memory stick will be identical to the original one. What else is needed. It would be nice if you give some reason with your answer.

Thank you.

4. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

Get A Card Reader and use it on ur computer to reinstall the files on the card.

5. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

Ooo! Maybe, you though I am asking the files on the memory stick. That is not I am asking. I am asking the raw dump of it, from MBR till the end...

6. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

I have a card reader. But how can I crate msipl.bin without a PSP. Is there an instruction that lays out the steps of creating pandora's stick without a PSP?

Thank you.

7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the msipl.bin file is a sony file, therefore illegal to distribute. also, an exact copy wouldn't work because the files are not installed onto your memory stick. copy and install are two different things.

you don't even need a psp for the magic memory stick anymore. google for totalnewbi installer. it will do everything for you.

8. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

Thank you for "totalnewbi installer" hint. I'll look into that. As for your previous claims: First, you say a dump will not work:

Then, you say it is illegal.

These are different statements; not a technical reason. I really wonder WHY it cannot work. Do you have a technical reason that a RAW copy of the stick can't do the job. I am very curious about it.

Thanks again for the 'totalnewbi'.

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i have no technical explination because i cannot go in-depth. i am not a coder.

but i do have experience on trying to do what you say. i have copied the original magic memory stick onto my computer, and copied it to a second memory stick. when i used pandora's battery and the second magic memory stick, it failed to boot to the menu. the files were not installed, therefore failed to boot.

10. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

Okay, that is a good data point.

Now; how did you copy the sticks? Were they really one-to-one copy? I mean, something like "dd" can do.

Thanks again for your patience.

11. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

they were direct copies of the files on the memory stick. copied to the computer, then copied to the second memory stick. i don't use a mac or linux OS.

12. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

Well, that may not work: The MBR will be different, the filesystem may be different in terms of at what sector they start, the file positions in the filesystem will be different... I am pretty sure these are important factors during the boot process.

So, while I look into the "total newbi" thing, my original questions stands; I appreciate if someone give me a raw dump of his/her memory stick. There is a good chance that it will work.

After, I fix my PSP (somehow), I'll try this, and post the result. This may be the most easiest way of creating a magic stick. (Doing this with windowz should not be a problem.)

Thanks all...

13. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

me and other members have tried all methods of trying to copy one's memory stick and put the files onto another memory stick, but it will still fail to boot. most of the new forum members will ask for a full copy of the memory stick, but we will not give it to them because it will not work.

because the custom firmware psp was a mandatory neccesity for the memory stick and 2/3 of the people have official firmware 3.51 or higher, coders developed the easy installers so it wouldn't need the custom firmware psp.

14. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

I am sorry, but I don't understand this attitude. You basically say, "I couldn't do it, so nobody can do it." And, we know that we are not talking about the same method you tried (a simple copy of files.)

If you think it does not work without a valid technical reason, I suggest, just wait and see. It is not nice to block (or influence) others by unfounded reasons.

I cannot claim that it will work for sure, but I have sufficient experience in these areas that I believe it works. It, at least warrants an attempt. So please, let me and others try.

15. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i have no attitude towards you or this topic. i am giving the results of what members have done before. eversince the creation of the magic memory stick, people have been trying to copy the memory stick, but have failed.

you can look HERE on pages two and three. another member has tried my method on a newer magic memory stick, and even went more in depth than my method. the result was still the same; failed to boot to the menu.

16. luzumsuz

luzumsuz Member

The answer to the original poster in the tread you mention says:

larrylje does not mention the details and simply says "copy". It is likely that he thinks what you thought; simply copying the files. And, it still lacks the reason. I am a scientist. Unless, I see a valid reason, I won't dismiss the idea.

Anyway. I am sorry if I sounded negative, personally. It is, off course, nice to discuss this with you. Thank you.

Anyways

17. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i doubt the idea will get dismissed. it'll get pushed aside because most users won't get in-depth with the problem; they want the solution right now. that's where the easy installers came in. first started with must having a custom firmware psp's, then evolved to just having a way to read the memory card.

a lot of the people who wanted the magic memory stick were new users of the psp. and after finding out that more can be done to it, they would be happy, UNTIL they find out that they will need to downgrade and upgrade to custom firmware. that's where the idea of trying to copy a magic memory stick came into play. i've tried copying straight, larrylje tried rerunning the mspformat and copying (and then most likely msinst). other memebers have probably tried it themselves.

i've said all i know about trying to copy the magic memory stick. i can't go any farther, until i think of other ways.

18. johnpetr

johnpetr Member

the method luzumsuz suggested DOES WORK ...

It is not just simply making a copy of the files on the memory stick but actually DUPLICATING the stick.
    It has even been mentioned on the noobz forum (with less words), suggesting that this is a possibility and that it does work. (The reason these files arnt online ar copyrights...)

Let me explain with a example most ppl will understand.

Say you want to copy a cd. You use somekind of program that reads the data on the cd and makes a IMAGE (wich is a representation of every "bit" in the same order as it would be on that verry disc). Then you burn that image back to a disc resulting in a perfect copy of the original disc.

ps: thats theorethical and just an example ...... i know that this is not the perfect example but at least ppl will understand.

19. lordofuo

lordofuo Regular member

your very right!

i see absolutely NO reason why an exact RAW DUMP (hence the word DUMP) wouldnt work!

ive never tried this, since i own two CF PSPs, but when you think about it, what the crud would keep it from booting?

luzumsuz and johnpetr know what they are talking about....

but tell me.... could they be the same person?? (both newbs agreeing)

even though they could be very right! :)

20. johnpetr

johnpetr Member

i'm not luzumsuz

just a coincidence im searching for the same thing as luzumsuz. i've been searching an a lot of forums and yesterday i finally found it.