1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DUO/QUAD CORE???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wagsdadog, May 15, 2007.

1. wagsdadog

wagsdadog Regular member

Question: Duo or Quad Core?

Ive got around AU$1,500 to spend on a new box. box only.

My question is what is the difference between Duo and Quad Core? there are drastic price differences.

I read that the best Quad Core that my store sells is something like 2.66Ghz... with 2x 4Mb L2 Cache???... i know thats got something to do with something but no idea...

Would i be better off just getting a normal P4 3.0Ghz or a Quad 2.66Ghz [i think it was]????

2. pollution

pollution Regular member

Please post what you will be using the machine for.
    I have dual core and a lot of programs I use are not written yet for dual core so they will only run on a single core even though I have dual core. I do like programs that run on dual core because it is so much faster but few I have found actually do. With quad core you would want to make sure the important programs you will be running are made for quad core.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if u want your pc to have the longest shelf life possible get a quad now if you can afford it.

the software will catch up to it.

you will also want 2gb of ram to go with it but the best place to ask is in the offical building thread.

4. wagsdadog

wagsdadog Regular member

im jus gunna b using it for some games that dont require alot of cpu usage (aoe, sc, wc, dota), everyday use but mainly photo editing...

so, quads the way to go?

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

well i don't know how much au$1500 is in usd but if your going to be using it for what you stated gaming, photo editing. etc. a quad would be overdoing it. Go with a high end core 2 duo, good graphics card and 2GB of ram. Choose your MB wisely as you can upgrade to quad core later!

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Think of it this way: duo core=2 processors and quad core= 4 processors built into 1.

7. pollution

pollution Regular member

I just realized how cheap dual core processors are now compared to when I bought one. I would definitely get a dual core processor if it was my money and machine unless it was a budget computer. I would take the money saved and buy dual monitors and a video card that supports it. I have used dual monitors for over a year and would like any new computer I have to have at least two monitors. I never realized how nice and useful dual monitors are until after using them for work and play. I am more productive with dual monitors.

With dual monitors and a dual dual core processor it is easy to run two programs and assign each processor to 1 specific program with windows xp and I would think the same for the other versions of windows that support dual core processors.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  8. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yea, I have 2 22" monitors and a dual core processor with 2 GB of ram, and 2 HDDs. So it is like having two computers insted of one.

9. wagsdadog

wagsdadog Regular member

whats this dual monitor go like? how is it set up? what do you need? and why is it good?

10. pollution

pollution Regular member

Dual monitors is where you have two monitors, two of the same sized monitors with same resolution settings would be the best, so I would buy two of the exactly same monitors. All monitors are capable of dual monitors. Not all video cards are capable of dual monitors so you have to buy a video card that supports dual monitors too. There will be two monitor jacks on the video card if it is capable of dual monitors. Here is some video cards. There is at least one card that has one jack but then comes with a splitter.
    The monitors are set beside each other, one on left and other on right.

It is good because you could play a game on the screen on the right screen while chatting to your friends on the left. Many other reasons too.

You need two identical monitors and one video card that has two monitor jacks to have dual monitors.

You do not have to have both monitors on all the time, you can have only the left or right one on if you like and you can split the screen and more neat stuff.

Here is a article on it.

Gates has three monitors.
    [​IMG]

I would definitely go with dual core processor too.

11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Personally I don't think you need two of the "Exact Same" monitor. I have two completely different monitors spaced slightly away from each other and it still works fine for me. I think that is more of a preference than a requirement.