1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

duox2

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by grim666, Mar 3, 2005.

1. grim666

grim666 Member

Hey,Im new at this so please cut me some slack.
    I bought the DuoX 2 Cromwell/Flashbios Edition(http://mod-chip.com/index2.php?go=en/select_xbox.htm).I would just like to know if i need linux to use this? i think I hooked it up rite but all i get is a blue screen.

2. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

Blue screen is good. Particularly when you have cromwell BIOS in DuoX 2. Blue screen is what you get when booting up cromwell. Next step is to flash DuoX 2 with the BIOS of your choice. And this can be tricky if you don't know how. You need to decide which BIOS is good for your xbox, then getting it from the right place, then make a CD or if you have home network, use the network flash of cromwell.

3. grim666

grim666 Member

thanks for help. sjchu well i do thank you for your help(i really do) but i was stupid and tried to do this stuff by my self and flashed it with the wrong bios size(i guess)now on bank 1 have nothin' and my xbox does not work.code 05 i what i get now.but on bank 0 i still get a good blue screen.is that really bad or what? i have been doin' alot of readin' lately(hehe)and it says the HD needs to be locked(unlocked right now)ao it cannot read anything i put in the xbox,so my question is now did i ruin the xbox?and will configmagic fix this problem,and do i need to put the HD in my PC to fix it?

4. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

On the bluescreen, there is an option that says advanced, in the advance screen, you will find lock hdd and unlock hdd options.

5. grim666

grim666 Member

hey sjchu,sorry for all the questions but i gues i didnt say it right.the blue screen has nuthin'on it at all on bank 1 but on bank 0 it looks the same as it did when i got it.the bios that i put on it was only 256kb and i didnt know that i needed to make them bigger till it was to late but now i hope that i didnt mess the whole thing up.i saw that bank 1 was for v1.0 through 1.5 and bank 1 was for v1.6-1.6b now i have 1.6-1.6b so does that mean that i cant use bank 1 at all or can i format the HD start over or anyway to put the bios back on bank 1(this is what i should have so says the web page)http://duomodchip.com/english/install/duox2_white/duox2_white_v1.6.jpg again thanks for the help

6. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

BEtween bank 0 and Bank 1, they are essentially the same thing geared toward differnt customers. You use either Bank 0 or Bank 1 based on the version of your xbox. Since you have a v1.6, you should use bank 1. Bank 0 will do you nothing good at all. THe purpose of either Bank 0 or bank 1 is to get you to boot into something to start with. The whole purpose of bank 0/1 is to let you flash another BIOS of your choice. that's it. You cannot use the cromwell BIOS or FlashBIOS for anything else. In you case, you should use a M8_16Plus.bin. Make it a 512K by the following command in a DOS window:

copy /b M8_18.bin + M8_16.bin M8_16_512K.bin

The above command will create a 512K byte image of M8_16.bin for you to use. (M8_16.bin comes as 256K BIOS, I assume.)

7. grim666

grim666 Member

hey sjchu,im gonna start over.i know its my fault that im not explaining my self the right way.this is what happend.i had an xbox that worked fine and then i got a chip(duox2)wired it in and everything was fine,i used bank 1 for xbox v-1.6 then i flashed it with the bios, but in stead of using 512kb's i used 256 because i didnt know the way to change them so i thought that i did.but now that i have looked in to it more i see that i didnt,so now i get just a blue screen on bank1 and when i power up the XBOX i get the error 05,looked in to that and it says,(5 - kernel - HDD not locked) (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)does that make any difference?thanks.

8. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

I can only guess what happened after you flashed 256K into DuoX2. I believe you have bank0 OK and Bank 1 blank. Error 5 comes up when you select bank 1 because there is nothing in bank 1. Try booting from Bank 0. If you can boot from Bank 0, you can lock your hdd easily. Otherwise, you need to get another modchip to boot something up to lock your hdd.

9. nandini

nandini Member

Hi sjchu, you seem to know a lot of this stuff.. so please spend 5 minutes with me!!! tks..
    Got the duo-x normal edition (didn´t know the difference to the cromwell!! :) and it doesnt work (no bios) after 2 weeks waiting and a lot of soldering probs!!!
    Can you generally tell me what do i have to do to flash it.. i just wanna play backups.. got a 1.4 xbox.. can i flash it by a cd with a bios and a dummy file?? thank you..

10. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

You've got the one without any BIOS preloaded. Not even a cromwell BIOS!. With this, the only way you can get a BIOS into this thing is by using an external flash programmer. You can use an X2 Programmer with IXIA software to flash the BIOS for you. Or, an Aladdin programmer will do the same. The external programmer plugs into the printer port of a PC and you run a Windows program to flash the BIOS. IXIA is one of the Windows Program that can do it for you.

http://www.eurasia.nu/ has Aladdin programmer for sale. Other online stores has X2 Programmer for sale.

11. nandini

nandini Member

Thank you.. gonna try to reconnect the chip first and if doesn´t work then i´ve to buy the external programmer.. :( (2 more weeks!!..)

thanks for the help! see ya!!