1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV camcorder movies to playable DVD-R home DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bongs, Aug 11, 2002.

1. bongs

bongs Member

I have personal movies taken from DV camcorder and I wanted to transfer them to DVD-R(I have DVR-104) which can be played to home DVD player. I have Ulead that can convert them to MPEG2 but my problem is how to transfer to DVD-R like the normal DVD movies.Can anyone give me advice what program to use. I've heard about the new Pinnacle Studio ver8, is this OK.

2. pipster

pipster Guest

I have a program called sonic mydvd that lets you import movies from various sources and make simple menus for them so you can burn them to dvd and play them in set top boxes , is this the kind of thing you want ?

3. bongs

bongs Member

I'll try it thanks.

4. pipster

pipster Guest

Have a look on *no-piracy*
    It can be a bit slow but its in the downloads

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2002
  5. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Hi bongs You should have gotten some software with the dvr-104 as I did when I got mine. I recieved powerdvd/nero5.5 and power director pro. If you got the retail version the only difference is you get sonicmydvd instead of Powerdirectorpro. I use Powerdirector pro because it is a video editing program that allows you to capture in mpeg2 dvd compliant video from analog or digital and it has a disc wizard that guides you through making dvds that will play on you set top player. Its not as powerful as the sonic software but it does have alot of feature that you can customize. If you have it I would try it out .

6. acoustic

acoustic Member

I too want to get into copying my very high quality DV videos to DVD's that I would burn onto DVD-R with a pc DVD burner (probably Pioneer DVR-104).

I tried using TMPGEnc to convert my .avi files
    (created using my Canopus DVRaptor capture card which operates in DV) to MPEG2 and I was not happy with the results. I saw some blocky looking color blotches. They were somewhat faint, but I could notice them without looking very hard.

I don't yet have a DVD standalone player or a PC dvd player, so I looked at that MPEG2 file using PowerDVD. My pc is slow (333MHz) and so I used "pause" to mostly look at still frames and I saw all those problems. When I used the same PowerDVD player on my pc to look at the original avi file, I saw none of the color blotches.

I'm looking to achieve store-bought prerecorded DVD quality.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I get store-bought DVD quality with TMPGEnc? If not, what do software or hardware card do I have to use to get it (lowest prices stuff that works)?

2. Is there any chance that the problems I'm seeing are with PowerDVD and that if I burnt what I have to a DVD-R and looked at it with a standalone DVD player or a pc dvd player and, say, a Hollywood Plus decoder card, it would look ok?

I sure don't want to go out and buy the Pioneer DVR-104 and a standalone DVD player just to be unhappy with the DVD's I can burn and watch.

7. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Aucoustic You will never get store bought dvd quality unless you buy a proffesional capture card $2500 and up and a fast computer and software to digitally remaster your video clips. I have a pioneer 104 burner read the post at the beginning of the thread. As for your pixelation problem you are using a software encoder wich usually because it is free or close to it does not give the best quality. Your cpu is very slow so I would think about an upgrade and at least 384mb memory. I use powerdirector pro because it captures in mpeg2 for dvd form my iee1394 card. It never looks good on your computer but when I burn it and play on a set top it looks good. You will get a the worst vhs quality depending on what you put in (garbage in garbage out). What are you using now (software video editing). I am pleased with Powerdirector pro www.cyberlink.com

8. poodull

poodull Member

acoustic,

im on my fifth home movie now. I see a few issues and agree with rocn1976 on a few issues.

first, your capture card is probably the culprit along with your cpu. if your card is pulling the DV (avi-type1or2) AND encoding it to mpeg2, theres no way you can expect good results from that system.

I have this:

athlon 1gz, 512mb memory, lots(30Gb+) of hdd space, adaptec firewire card, sony trv50 camcorder

VegasVideo 3.0 for ripping dv->hdd(avi); no conversion/compression.. this is the most intensive hdd-wise.

VegasVideo 3.0 for splice and dice (its awesome)

tmpgEnc pro for AVI->MPEG2; using the wizard select 7000kbps VBR and keep max at 8000kbps and min at 5000kbps, 2pass VBR in the expert page. that will make sure it looks nicen'perty and not too big.. if its a short clip or all fast action just go for 8000 CBR. this takes hours. many of them.

then i use VideoPack 5 for dvd creation. its pretty easy, allows audio in the menu (spruceup does not), and its REALLY easy to make chapters (spruceup is impossible and DVDit is annoying). I record to disk, which writes an ISO file down. (PROBLEM: check out my thread in "General Video Discussions" about compatibility)

*optional*
    ISOBuster to open the ISO to its folders. that way i can check if it truely ran correctly using IFOEdit or Mounting the drive as dvd and using PowerDVD. kind of a pain, but better than a $2 coaster.

then finally i use the very wonderful Prassi to write the folders in a Data Disk job.. on my pioneer 104 in a pyro firewire external box.

i use PrimeDisc (label written in completely japanese) and usually record at 2x unless im not in a hurry.

does all that help _anybody_? if so i can elaborate or start up a how-to.

dull

9. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Hey Poodull I was looking into buying a Canopus dv1394 digital and analog combo capture card that comes with vegas video 3.0 LE. My question is does vegas video alow you to capture in mppeg2 from you source or does it only allow only avi capture? Secondly you said you have a 104 didn't you get power director pro with it. I find it easy (less steps and apps). It captures in mpeg 2 straight from your dv cam and the quality is very good and the program has a disc wizard that makes authoring as easy as burning a copy in nero.

10. poodull

poodull Member

i donno man (rocn1976), ive heard capture cards are so-so unless youve got the big bucks. and even then, some cannot be upgraded with better algorythems.

as far as the 104 and power director pro goes, i must have bought the bare bones system because i didnt even get an ide ribbon.

i heard our fearless leader (dRD) mention a compression app called Cinema Craft LE (the SE doesnt support VBR). ive since downloaded it but haven't been able to use it. i have no issues with tmpg so far.. not studio quality, but good enough.

dull

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

With DV, capture cards are not required as the data is stored digitally and transferred digitally through FireWire anyway. But for analog sources, good capture cards are required, but they only cost around $300-500 since you _really_ don't want your hardware to do the MPEG-2 compression on-the-fly.

CCE 2.50 SP (not LE) is probably the best-quality MPEG-2 encoder, but comes with nice $1995 price tag and requires helluva lot more work than TMPGEnc (it doesn't support resizing or virtually any filters, so all the videos need to be feeded through AVISynth or similiar). And CCE SP vs TMPGEnc, the difference isn't that big that you would have to seriously consider putting $1950 more into your MPEG-2 encoder, when TMPGEnc costs $48.

12. Headache

Headache Member

Try downloading a program called DVDit! PE from a p2p site. It will transfer your mpeg-2 file into the proper video format, and you have the option of using dobly digital stereo which sounds pretty sweet. It will also burn the DVD for you which is nice.

13. acoustic

acoustic Member

Since my last post, I've got the Pioneer DVR-104 and the Hollywood Plus MPEG2 decoder card.

That made the problems I was having on playback become not quite as bad, but I still don't have professional quality DVD's as good as most that
    are commercially made.

By the way, my Canon Gl1 and Canopus DVRaptor
    capture card created dv avi files play back
    fantastic-quality is even better than a commercial dvd and so the problem is definitely not with that part of the chain. Once TMPGEnc has converted my really top shelf avi to MPEG2 is when the file looks poor, even when played through my new Hollywood Plus card (which plays commercial dvd's back with excellent quality also since it bypasses my slow pc).

Is anyone out there using TMPGEnc and getting
    professional, commercial dvd quality with no
    artifacts, especially in scenes with high motion?

I followed some of the on-line guides to setup
    TMPGEnc. I encoded to MPEG2 a one minute clip
    using 8 M/Sec, a very high bitrate, the dc quality (or something like that) I set to the max, 10, and I set the motion quality to "very high"(slowest processing rate). I used the mode that had a name something like cq-constant quality. The only thing I haven't got to work yet is the 2 pass encoding, but someone else said if I was using constant bit rate set as high as the 8 MB/sec that I was using, that that wouldn't make a difference (I'm not sure about that because I would think no matter how high the bitrate, 2 passes would still allow a better encoding of high motion scenes).

Some reviews on the Net claim TMPGEnc is roughly the same as the best other software encoders such as Cine Craft Encoder so either I'm doing something dumb or else maybe I need a high cost hardware encoding card?????

Acoustic

14. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Aucostic What software did you get with the Pioneer A04. Did you get Powerdirector2.0 DE with it if not try downloading the trial version at www.cyberlink.com and if you are capturing from a dvtape or any source for that matter you can capture straight to mpeg2 for dvd and the quality will be more than sufficient. you won't even need to use TPMPG any All you have to do is capture at the dvd for movie disc setting (high quality) then edit produce and then create the disk. I have a Canonn vistura dv cam and it is quite hard to tell the differnce. I hate to see you struggle using more than one program with a bunch of complicated processes when you can use one program that eliminates half the steps. I urge you to try the down load and let me know if the quality is more than sufficient.

15. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

"I'm looking to achieve store-bought prerecorded DVD quality."

You need nothing short of a Hollywood post-production studio to accomplish this.

To get your DV cam video onto a disc unmolested, you should probably investigate some mid-range authoring software.

16. poodull

poodull Member

well, ive tinkered around for quite a while now with my trv50 and various video software. this is what ive found:

I use Windows Movie Maker (no kidding) to grab the avi from the firewire card -> camera link. I use this because other things ive tried have dropped frames, tried to create 'clips' etc etc.

I then use Vegas Video to do my non-linear editing. I find its the absolute best pc-based editor out there. Its great for transitions, audio tracks, photoshop created still with layers, etc etc.

I then render the edited clip to avi using Vegas Video.

I use Roxio Videopack 5 to import that avi file. Create menus with buttons and audio track to loop... Then the tedious task of adding chapters (no software ive found does this well).

After the dvd is set up i create the ISO of the disk using Videopack 5. It Muxes and converts everything perfectly. and believe me, i have no idea what encoder it uses or how, but the video i get is MUCH better than anything ive gotten from TMPGEnc (which i think may be my fault btw)

I now have the ISO which i either open using ISOBuster to check it or just burn it to dvd and hope for the best... which is 99.9% good.

*The only think ive noticed is that if i have a lead-in movie to the dvd -- you know, before the menu shows up -- its better to encode that to mpeg2 using tmpgenc first. otherwise VideoPack sometimes puts a little skip in it. I should note that ALL other parts of any dvd ive created did not have any skips in it. or artifacts, or lines from high frames, or ghosting, etc etc.

I have yet to try Scenarist and Miestro. I hear theyre good. but ive got a pretty good winning combo and I think its a real no-brainer anyone can become good at.

I'm also interested in finding out if anyone else is having such success with videopack 5 -- or even using the apparantly deprecated piece of software.

** OH! also, all my dvds cant be played on sony (and other) dvds. The menu shows up, but the navigation buttons dont. ffd, rev, menu, etc all work, but the directional buttons and enter does not respond. I think its Videopack's fault.

17. pyotrek

pyotrek Guest

Please help!
    I tried to read trough the postings and follow the instructions, but the picture quality of the DVD's that I author is far from what I hoped for. There is a lot of "pixelization" (that's the best word I can come up with to describe what I see)in the picture.
    First I tried to create VCD's or SVCD's, and wasn't happy with the output. Than I've got myself Pioneer DVR-104 but the quality of the DVD's is not much better - maybe just a little better.
    My original goal was to copy my DV video tapes to DVD media as it supposed to be a "longer lasting" media.
    The quality of the DVD's I produce is worst than the quality of regular VHS copy. Is this something that I should expect or am I just not "grasping it"?

I use: Ulead VideoStudio6 which seems quite "user friendly",Sony DV camcorder and IEEE 1394 digital connection for capturing.
    I have Pioneer DVR-104. My PC is quite powerfull,and I do not think the problem is with my PC. I followed the Ulead "wizards", but wasn't changing any advanced settings.

Any comment will be appreciated.

18. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

pyrotek read my other posts on this thread and please take my advice you will be more than pleased with the outcome. I have a pioneer 104 and I have made dvd's from my cannon dv camcorder and there is no pixelation and it is very clean using the steps in my earlier posts to this thread. I am not familiar with the ulead software but I can almost guarantee that if you use the software and disc producing software that you will be pleased and you will not have any pixelation. Also I hope you are not recording your dv tapes in LP mode on the camera as this will give you poor quality on the camera even before you begin. I hope you try this software as It was more than sufficient for me. I have done a couple of my friends wedding videos with this software and they were very shocked that it came out that well.

19. GW9MAH

GW9MAH Member

Read the various reposnses above and all pretty interesting, very new to this so apologies if I am missing something.. I am currently trying PowerDirector Pro to create DVD's Mini DVD's and SVCD's the problem I get is that when I try to play them in my wharfdale 750 dvd all but the SVCD's simply do not play instead the counter on the player is just 00000000. The SVCD's start to play and then hang. I have in the past created an SVCD with the help of Tmpeg and VCDEasy and this has been ok. But am trying to go down the DVD route. I have also tried the Ulead DVD workshop with same results. An earlier thread mentions Sonic MYDVD does anyone know if a demo is available as I am reluctant to pay out any cash if I have same results - or can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong with the above. Incidently all of the above works fine when viewed on the PC. I guess VCDEasy does something extra? that the other sw doesn't - confused..... very.

20. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

GW9mah there is no trial of sonic my dvd. I don't think that your problem is with the software. They all do just about the same thing except some are more powerfull than others. The fact that it is playing in the computer dvd rom proves that it should be ok. I never heard of that brand and model dvd player which leads me to beleive that it could be the problem. Does it play vcd and mp3. I have yet to see a player that does this have any problems with dvd-r media. My next suggestion would be to try it in a friends player and see if you get the same result. I would also check the video format that u used when capturing and editing and authoring the dvd and make shure that it is the same standard as the player. Try that and let us know how it goes. I really don't think it is a software issue. What kind of media and dvd writer do you have.