1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV conversion for archiving and editing

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by fmaddin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. fmaddin

fmaddin Member

I want to convert my DV for archival purposes to MPEG2 (or DIVX maybe if its superior) and maintain a very high quality. Thoughts on this, best processes?

At a later date I want to edit some footage into videos with fades and effects etc. Most editors will re-encode the entire video. Are there any packages out there that just re-encode the areas with effects? Should I even be worried about quality loss?

Where are the best forums on the web to talk about things liket this?

-fm

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well For the Best Quality it would be Best to Keep it In DV Format because any Compression will Lower the Quality...If you are Planning on eventually Putting these files on to DVD then I would encode them To Mpeg-2 at 720+480/576-Pal.....

You can edit Mpeg-2 files without Quality Loss but you have to use a Native Mpeg editor like "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" or if you have Adobe Premier pro you can use the Mainconcept Mpeg Pro HD Plugin which adds Native Mpeg editing to Premier and it will only re-encode the areas that have filters, effects or Transitions...

"Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" also has effects and Transitions and will let you add extra audio tracks and one Advantage it has over Premier is it supports Mpeg-2/VOB files with Dolby AC3 audio and Only re-encodes areas with filter and Effects and Transitions.....

Cheers