1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV from French Video TAPE VHS

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by magnetic, May 30, 2007.

1. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

I use a Sony DCR-PC109E PAL as a pass through device to record analogue input to my PC.
    I've successfully converted Mini DV, standard Irish/English Video VHS and various sources to DVD's

I'm now experiencing trouble with a French Tape.
    This is someones wedding Tape and was taken on a french Video Camera in 1996.
    I tried it on my video player and it plays in a bad black and white.
    After a bit of searching I realised the format is french and the color is all messed up as a result.
    So I suggested using a french Video Player, my thinking was the tape would be played/converted and the output on the scart channel would be fixed for my PC.
    I tried it on a french Philips WD42-9212 and the picture was in black an white with red and green slanted bands of color throught it, it looked like crap to be honest.
    She had played it on her TV and it looked perfect (for video quality anyway)

How can I get it onto my PC to create a DVD in color???

I'm thinking maybe a Dazzle unit may work as perhaps the PAL Sony DCR-PC109E is not able to decode the video correctly?
    I'm at a loss otherwise and would like to now if I can do this or if she needs to go to someone else?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

sounds like it might be in the French SECAM format, which is totally unlike NTSC or PAL. (PAL is really an modification of NTSC so the conversion is fairly simple)

If it is SECAM, there are companies that will do it for about $20 in the USA or £20 in Britain. Lots in Québec! Just google for "SECAM VHS conversion".