1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV to DVD or SVCD ( Home Video )

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by apaixtos, Mar 11, 2003.

1. apaixtos

apaixtos Guest

Did any one had made a transfer from a DV camera to DVD with good picture results ?

I mean without major problems and artifacts, especially when the source movie material contains fast sences.

Every effort I made had results but not as good as expected. This is more visible if we view the final DVD with a projector at a 120" screen size.

There is no problem with PC speed. The capture made thru firewire port. We used Studio 8 / DVD Workshop / TMPEng etc... All off them gave us quality not as best as the source DV material.

Thanks in advance

2. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

If I understand you correctly, you are experiencing conversion problem. As I understand it non HDTV and older projectors that are non LCD projectors display images in sequential line refresh. This means, for example, the image you’re watching is refreshed every other line, every third line, etc. Therefore, when the captured image via DV “pumps” out more than the projector can handle you’ll notice this phenomenon—streaking of colors like when a cartoon character runs fast and all you see are lines.

There are two ways to compensate the cause: 1) shoot your movie with stabilizer or do not zoom in too closely on the subject when it is in fast motion 2) compile the final movie file with De-interlaced option.

The following link will further explain what’s going on when converting from digitized motion image to television signal (and of course not limited to the explanation).

http://www.puremotion.com/videoediting/reference/technical/interlacedvideoexplained/

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003