1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv transfer to dvd files but with poor image quality

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fezz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. fezz

fezz Member

I am using dvd creator that came with my pc, I conected my dv camcorder with a firewire cable, started the capture, first the files go directly as mpeg files i did the editing burn the dvd disk but the quality of the movie is not the same as de minidv. How can i do all the above and keep the good quality of the minidv?

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

First, capture using the DV AVI codec.

Second, you need to use a GOOD encoder. Not the one that comes built in with your capturing software. DV video is not a very clean source so you need to encode with the highest specs you can.

You should use a bitrate calculator to determine what's the best bitrate to fill up your DVD5 or DVD9. Personally, I never go below 4KB/sec for DV. However, that will also depend on how good your encoding software is. I use ProCoder.

3. fezz

fezz Member

thanks for the tip. Are there any freeware encoder that i could use, What do you mean with " capture using the DV AVI codec" is this built in the editing software or is a small utility that can be downloaded of the net, I tried nero aswell but i got the same result as with the windvd creator.

thanks

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

I have never used DVD Creator but, with most capturing software, you have the option of capturing as a MPG or AVI file. If you choose the AVI file, it usually automatically selects the DV AVI codec.

Try downloading a trial of Ulead Video Studio (Ulead website) and you'll see what I mean.

As for a good freeware encoder, unfortunately there are none. For example, you can use Ulead VS to "encode" to DVD for you after the initial capture. It'll encode at 6 Kb/s (or 8Kb/s, I can't remember) but the result is much worse than using ProCoder at 4 Kb/s.

Maybe try to find an older version of TMPG before it became payware?

5. fezz

fezz Member

Thank you very much for the input I received, The program Ulead video studio worked really well and is very easy to use, I am considering purchasing the software. Again thank you.

[ + quote]