1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 9 AND 10

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chum94555, Mar 11, 2003.

1. chum94555

chum94555 Member

Is it possible to buy 2 layers DVD 9 and Two sided DVD 10 in the stores? Does anyone know if SONY'S 500 UL drive will write on 9 and 10s?

thanks

ks

2. crowds

crowds Member

i dont think you can get dvd layer 9 disks. In fairness (could be wrong) i think the two layers of a comercial DVD 9 are burnt seperatly and then pressed together, dont quote me tho
    Crowds

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

They aren't burned -- commercial DVDs are never burnt, or can you imagine thousands of little kid workers somewhere in South-East Asia sitting in a warehouse next to computers equipped with DVD-R writers and burning you the latest Hollywood movies for some studios to distribute?-)

DVD-9s are pressed on two thin discs and those discs are then joined together. And therefor DVD-9 recordables will most likely never appear on the markets, due technical reasons.

Blank DVD-10s appear everywhere where blank discs are sold -- they are just DVD-5s with two sides, normally sold as "9.4GB" to fool morons to think that they can copy direct copy of DVD-9s to those discs :)