1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 9 AND DVD 5

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by 9932sens, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 9932sens

9932sens Guest

HOW do we know if a game is a dvd 5 or dvd 9, and is it possible to copy a game who is on a dvd 9. i have a new LG dvd burner

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I haven't been able to copy a DVD9 "game" onto a DVD5 disc. The only one I've tried is GT4 as it's the only one so far I care about backing up. All the rest of my games are DVD5.

When you rip it, if it's over 4.7 gigs(actually 4.37), it's a DVD9. You must use a dual layer burner to burn dual layer discs.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  3. abx

abx Guest

4. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

Can the PS2 read dual layer discs?

5. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

o yeah, GT4, duh, i meant more along the lines of burned dual layers, i think the sonys are + format, will the PS2 read them?

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Not sure, but I think that if the original game was in OTP format (Opposite Track Path) it would work as a 1:1 copy. But for games like GT4, which is PTP (Parallel Track Path), it won't work. To find out the track path, AnyDVD will tell you (where it says "Layers:2 Opposite" or "Layers:2 Parallel") and Decrypter will tell you (where it says "Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)" or "Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)).

7. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

I've copied plenty of DVD9 games to DVD5 discs. With the exception of GT4. Champions, The Guy Game, Xenosaga, etc... All you have to do is research here on how to rebuild the ISO image.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I guess I need to make myself clearer. I am only referring to GT4. (I edited my previous post) I have backed up hundreds of DVD9's, using various apps. I have also authored many Dvd's using DvdLab Pro, NVE 3, and Sony Architect.

All of my games will fit on DVD5. GT4 is the only DVD9 I have tried that I can't back up. I am trying something new this weekend and I will post my results if it works.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005